Some stability questions

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

Some stability questions

Postby hmn » Wed May 08, 2019 4:26 pm

Dear ppl,

My issue is that; for a customer we used JCEF/Chromium63, but the Java app crashes the VM after about an hour.
We're looking at a crash dump(2 mini, 2 full). they All crash in comctl32.dll which is called from awt.dll. (We're using Windows 10, Oracle JDK8.)

We use JViews-framework to render JComponents inside their graphic toolkit. The JCEF browser component is added there.
So i was suspecting that middle-layer to bug the JCEF implementation.
So i decided to test both the JCEF-Detailed-example and our app. But i noticed both java programs generate a lot of "Access Violation" exceptions.
If i let VisualStudio2015 continue the program, all still seems to work as if nothing happened.
:?: I'm interested to know what's responsible for all these access violations. Have you seen similar, or should i report it more detailed somewhere?

I thought to build JCEF myself in order to have more to debug with. (i also found out opensource.spotify.com has CEF symbol files as well)
Today i managed to build the whole lot from the latest GIT version, with some help of friends knowing GIT ;)
Up to now it didn't crash inside Chromium or CEF dll's, but only in jvm.dll and comctl32.dll.
:?: Anyone seen similar?

I had version 63 but realized recently that is current 73. i thought to go with the 'latest and greatest', but
#73 gives a VM exception(and hs_err_[pid].log) when i close the Detailed-example-dialog, but the
#63 version didn't always report a VM exception at exit (only sometimes).
:?: What is the wise thing to do? which version to continue with?
e.g. Is there a version which is known to be very stable, even though the embedded CEF/Chromium may be a bit older?

Thanks for any insights
Last edited by hmn on Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmn

Re: Some stability questions

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm

JCEF follows the CEF stable branch, which updates as documented at https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... -supported.

Known JCEF issues can be found at https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... tatus=open

If you find a new crash with the current master version of JCEF, and the crash has not already been reported, feel free to add a bug. You should include reproduction steps with the JCEF sample application and a symbolized call stack.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby hmn » Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

thanks.

Regarding the "access violation" exceptions in both #63 and #73 being caught by VisualStudio 2015 on both Java-detailed-example and my own Java app.
Should i invest in finding the cause or is it (for some reason) expected behaviour?
hmn

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 08, 2019 5:16 pm

hmn wrote:thanks.

Regarding the "access violation" exceptions in both #63 and #73 being caught by VisualStudio 2015 on both Java-detailed-example and my own Java app.
Should i invest in finding the cause or is it (for some reason) expected behaviour?

It doesn’t sound like expected behavior.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby hmn » Thu May 09, 2019 2:20 am

magreenblatt wrote:It doesn’t sound like expected behavior.

hi. i've also ran the Javacpl (Java control panel), and by attaching the visual Studio 2015 debugger, when clicking around in the app, i catch also many "Access Violations".
So i think it's safe to say it is "expected behaviour".

[edit] ahh.. read that these "access violation" exceptions are anticipated and used by JavaVM link

i'll continue with #63 and hope to find the reason for sudden shutdown.
[edit] on other hand.. i realized that #63 is about a year old.. i'll stick with #73 and keep you informed on what i encounter.

Thanks
Last edited by hmn on Sat May 11, 2019 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
hmn

Postby magreenblatt » Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am

hmn wrote:ahh.. read that these "access violation" exceptions are anticipated and used by JavaVM link

Thanks for the info :)
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to JCEF Forum