This is a joke, is it not? O.O

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other CEF users.

This is a joke, is it not? O.O

Postby IngwiePhoenix » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Hey.

So, for quite a while,I have been facedesk'ing with CEF. Its so picky! It does not do all the nice stuff on OS X than it doe son Windows - furthermore, that applies to linux too it seems. But, getting past the limitations isnt all. Aside from using a lot of sub processes, CEF does not give what it could, like bare v8 access - ALTHOUGH the dynamic library does indeed export the neccessary v8::* symbols (posted about this at the feature request board).

So, I have been starting to look around for hours now. And I came to a fairly blunt solution. So, i went and tried to find alternative, embedable browser frameworks/engines/blahs. Here is my result.

Gecko
It was and appearently still is used. But when I open the "How to embed" page, I get a nice warning at the top sying that embedding Gecko is _deprecated_. Say what...

Dillo{/b}
FLTK based and...bad. No JS, no CSS3, it only really is a layout engine, period.

[b]WebKit itself?

Everything starts with...downloading 1GB of a SVN snapshot. and from what I read at the page, that obviously isnt even everything. It now uses JavaScriptCore, which is, from what I figured, not as good as v8. Okay, lets say it would not bother me. But... how to embed it? I see a lot of information about the library and stuff, but it does not give me a clean bit of information that tells me how to embed WebKit, and if i will ever have CSS3 and JS right within too - and, to build on Windows, it suggests the ultra-outdated Cygwin...? Oh-oh.

Blink
Would like to try that...if i would find a download link? Many information about development and so on and so forth...but yet, nothing about a download link. ...Google, you're kidding me.

Awesomium
Neat CEF hack, sadly closed source. I want to work with Open Source, and this doesnt offer it.

Summary.
I know, this might be a bad place to put that all up, but i just didnt even find any other place to talk about this. And the summary is rather simple. CEF is the ONLY real embedable browser. So that means, that I either find a way to work with CEF, or I just give up on the project I am working on. Because the more I try to use CEF, the ahrder it seems to become.
Node-webkit wants you to download the whole 14GB of google source code, just to build a tiny runtime. So this is a nono, because I am on a DSL 2000 with the weird occassion to have a 16.000ms of ping - no way of downloading this lot at once.

If anybody knows a usable, embedable browser engine thats maybe not as stubborn as CEF, i would be happy to learn about it! ^^

Kind regards, Ingwie
IngwiePhoenix
Mentor

Re: This is a joke, is it not? O.O

Postby Czarek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Isn't life a joke? :) You have to deal with it. Bad emotions aren't gonna help you with it.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 pm

IngwiePhoenix wrote:If anybody knows a usable, embedable browser engine thats maybe not as stubborn as CEF, i would be happy to learn about it!

It seems that you understand the alternatives pretty well :). And you know what? Not only is CEF the easiest to use, but it's also open source. That means you can do whatever you like with it, including fixing the things that you consider to be rough edges. Contributions are welcome if you're willing to do the work and you can convince us that your ideas are good for the majority of CEF users. And, as you've seen, we help you out a lot more than you might expect for free ;).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mistymorning » Mon May 12, 2014 10:04 am

It's not perfect but its the best option I have seen so far and as you say it is open sourse

Microsoft on the other hand has become so secure (if you want to cal it secure) that I cannot even delete certain files and trying to get drag and drop to work when MS switches to MTA threading is well past a joke and thats without reading about items on a form might not have the same windows access rights.
Building a web-browser that does not call home
mistymorning
Techie

Return to General Discussion