CEF transparent overlay

Made a cool mod to CEF that you'd like to share with others? Discuss CEF modifications here, and view modifications that others have made.

CEF transparent overlay

Postby yosoymin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 am

We are using CEF for rendering games UI and we have some simple patches to CEF that makes possible to create a transparent window that we place over the game window as an overlay. This approach is simpler than off-screen rendering and works great in windows and linux desktop applications.
The only modifications needed for CEF are (3 lines of code):

Code: Select all
bool DesktopWindowTreeHostWin::ShouldWindowContentsBeTransparent() const {
   // but merely of the content Chrome draws, so even when the system titlebars
   // appear opaque (Win 8+), the content above them needs to be transparent, or
   // they'll be covered by a black (undrawn) region.
   return true;  // instead of return ShouldUseNativeFrame() && !IsFullscreen();
}

SkColor CefContext::GetBackgroundColor(
    const CefBrowserSettings* browser_settings,
    cef_state_t windowless_state) const {
{
   return SK_ColorTRANSPARENT;  // Enforces transparent background color
}

void CefWindowDelegateView::Init(gfx::AcceleratedWidget parent_widget,
                                 content::WebContents* web_contents,
                                 const gfx::Rect& bounds) {
    [...]
    params.opacity = views::Widget::InitParams::TRANSLUCENT_WINDOW;  // instead of views::Widget::InitParams::OPAQUE_WINDOW
    [...]
}

This modifications force the transparent window mode, but I can easily introduce a setting configuration in CefWindowInfo, something like CefWindowInfo::SetAsChild(parent, windowRect, bool transparentOverlay);

It's responsibility of the client code (who creates the parent window) to maintain the CEF window over the parent one and resize it to match the position and size of both windows.

When creating CEF, in Windows (Vista and above) you have to do:
  CefWindowInfo window_info;
  window_info.SetAsPopup(parentWnd, "CEF");
  window_info.ex_style |= WS_EX_COMPOSITED;

In linux you have to create a parent XWindow that supoorts alpha channel, see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4052940/how-to-make-an-opengl-rendering-context-with-transparent-background and https://github.com/datenwolf/codesamples/blob/master/samples/OpenGL/x11argb_opengl/x11argb_opengl.c.

If you think that this can be useful, and can be included in the base code of CEF, I can prepare a patch for any version you want.
yosoymin
Techie

Re: CEF transparent overlay

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:15 am

There are some PRs for this already, including https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... views/diff. It looks like yours would be similar?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby yosoymin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:40 pm

That's true, the only difference I can see is that the PRs you mentioned seems to work for the views framework, but I think that is not working for windowed mode. I've never used the views framework before, I'm going to give it a try. Maybe the final solution for this feature should be something that works in both modes.
yosoymin
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:08 pm

CEF windowed mode uses the views framework internally on Windows and Linux. Any changes should be in CEF code and not Chromium (e.g. not DesktopWindowTreeHostWin).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby yosoymin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:59 am

Just for the record, if someone is looking for making CEF transparent, the Pull Request mentioned before in this thread (https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... w-in-views) is working ok both in Windows and Linux. It would be great if one day the code is integrated into CEF.
I have a list of 3 simple modifications to allow this in case anyone wants to apply fast and easy to any CEF version.

chromium_git/chromium/src/cef/libcef/browser/context.cc:
CefContext::GetBackgroundColor() { return SK_ColorTRANSPARENT; } // Return always transparent color

chromium_git/chromium/src/cef/libcef/browser/views/window_view.cc:
void CefWindowView::CreateWidget() {
[...]
    params.remove_standard_frame = true;
  }
#endif

params.opacity = views::Widget::InitParams::WindowOpacity::kTranslucent;  // This line is needed for trasnparency

widget->Init(std::move(params));

[...]

XChangeProperty(display, window, mwmHintsProperty, mwmHintsProperty, 32,
                    PropModeReplace, (unsigned char*)&hints, 5);
  }
#endif  // defined(OS_LINUX) && defined(USE_X11)

// This is needed for trasnparency
  CefRefPtr<CefView> cef_view = view_util::GetFor(GetContentsView(), false);
  if (cef_view)
      cef_view->SetBackgroundColor(SK_ColorTRANSPARENT);
}
yosoymin
Techie

Postby choiday » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:24 am

I tried transparent overlay as you guided. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the result. Only thing I can see is the background has been changed from white to black.
What I'm trying to do is adding cef based ui on a opengl native window as a child or popup. so I tried to do without view framework first.
window_info.SetAsChild(nativeOpenglWindowHandle, rect)

I only can get black background child from it.
so I tried to use view framework but in this case I don't know how to add the cef toplevelwindow as a child to native opengl window exactly. just tried

auto top = CefWindow::CreateTopLevelWindow(new SimpleWindowDelegate(browser_view));
    SetParent(top->GetWindowHandle(), nativeOpenglWindowHandle);

I'm getting not very good result from this either. can you explain a bit more about this please?
choiday

Postby Devyre » Mon May 31, 2021 11:41 am

This approach makes true fullscreen mode (on Windows) impossible afaik and only allows borderless fullscreen, so it doesn't seem like the best choice for games where no input lag is desired.
Devyre
Techie

Return to Modifications Forum