Location of CEF files and dlls

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Location of CEF files and dlls

Postby jsperry » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:59 pm

Is there a way to change where the application looks to find all the supporting files and dlls? We have a set up where one application is called via a short cut and then this application has a way to call another application via a shell execute and it might exist on a different server. We'd like to place all the CEF supporting files on the different server whereas right now they need to be where the original application is located.
jsperry

Re: Location of CEF files and dlls

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:29 pm

The dlls can be located via your PATH, but this is generally fragile and not recommended. Other resource files (bin, pak) are located relative to libcef.dll or paths configurable via CefSettings.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jsperry » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:20 am

What's curious to me, is currently the files need to be located in the same folder as the delphi application that calls the shell execute of the delphi application where the browser exists which is on a different server. I would have thought it would be the other way around. We really need to get all these files with the application that exists on the different folder. Is there an example of how to configure via CefSettings. Thank you for your response.
jsperry

Postby jsperry » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:36 am

I found an example in one of your demos for CEF settings. I'll start giving that a try but if you have any recommendations let me know. Thanks
jsperry

Postby jsperry » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:01 am

No matter what I try with CEF settings to change the path of the files I always get "CEF binaries missing !" Seems it's not looking at the delphi application we developed with your browser. Our application is being called from another delphi application that we do not own is why I want to keep all the files together with our application exe. Any other way to accomplish this?
jsperry

Postby jsperry » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:38 am

I found an error in my path and can now get it to load sometimes however it's way too slow. I was mirroring the simple browser 2 demo. Is there another way this can be built to load faster? Any other demos that might load faster?
jsperry

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:42 am

I found an error in my path and can now get it to load sometimes however it's way too slow.

If you're loading large dlls from a remote server it is likely to be slow.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jsperry » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:15 pm

Let me see if I can explain this better. We have application "A" and application "B". "A" exists either on a local box or on another server. A shortcut has been set up to call "A". From "A" we can call "B" with a shell execute. "B" has the web browser and will be on a server somewhere. The supporting CEF files can reside with "A" in the same folder and work but we cannot place those files with "A". So using the GlobalCEFApp path settings we pointed to the server where "B" resides and placed the supporting files in a folder there. It takes too long for these files to load. Can we place these files somewhere else on "A" and make it work? We did try the following settings and the files could not be found and I'm assuming "B" did not know how to look back to where "A" is located to find the files. Any ideas?

These settings did NOT work:

GlobalCEFApp.FrameworkDirPath := '%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\CEF';
GlobalCEFApp.ResourcesDirPath := '%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\CEF';
GlobalCEFApp.LocalesDirPath := '%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\CEF\locales';
GlobalCEFApp.EnableGPU := True; // Enable hardware acceleration
GlobalCEFApp.cache := '%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\CEF\cache';
jsperry

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:42 pm

Your question may be better aimed at a forum specific to the CEF wrapper that you're using. Generally speaking, environment variables in paths will not be evaluated.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jsperry » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm

What forum would that be?
jsperry

Next

Return to Support Forum