cefclient - tmp files in %temp% directory, what are they?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

cefclient - tmp files in %temp% directory, what are they?

Postby Tom741 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Using Cef 3987 (80.0.3987.163)
Windows 10 x64 (also reproduce on WS2012R2 and Windows 8.1)

Hello,
- I'm using cefclient that I modified a bit (mainly added some code in client_handler) and that navigate on different pages.
- The cache_path is set to a specific folder and files are correctly created in it.
- The downloads are disabled (I removed CefDownloadHandler from the client_handler)

The issue I have sometimes is .tmp files are created in the Windows temp directory. They are all like "{GUID}.tmp" and most of the time they do between 1mb (rare) and 70mb (much common). They are not readable when opening them with notepad++.
I checked with process monitor that the created file was indeed coming from cefclient.

Does someone may have an idea from where this temp files can come from?

Tom741
Techie

Re: cefclient - tmp files in %temp% directory, what are they

Postby Tom741 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Hello,
Me again.
I found that the problem is also noticeable on Linux.
The files are in .local/share and has the following name pattern: .org.chromium.Chromium.someRandomChars

It just looks like downloaded files.
Is the doc misleading and the CefDownloadHandler should be implemented to cancel the downloads? Why do they appear in temp or local/share folder?

Tom741
Techie

Re: cefclient - tmp files in %temp% directory, what are they

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:59 pm

They appear to come from the TempFileName function. You can run in a debugger and set a breakpoint to see what is calling that function.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum