Build a specific commit

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Build a specific commit

Postby omryc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:40 am

Hi,

I'm trying to solve the bug i posted half a year a go: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... -addresses.
In this issue i mentioned that the bug was first introduced in branch 3626.

Because I'm not familiar with CEF/chromium code, I want to build CEF so that each time i revert one more commits of CEF/chromium
in order to see more specifically which CEF/chromium commit caused the bug.
This will help me understand where to start looking in the code.

I built branch 3626 successfully using the quickstart guide.
I tried reverting commits for both chromium and CEF, and build again by repeating the 'create.bat' step and the ninja step,
but that didnt work - I failed on the 'create.bat' step.

What is the correct way to build the project with 1 commit of CEF/chromium reverted, without building everything again from scratch?

Thanks,
Omry
omryc

Re: Build a specific commit

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:45 am

The automate-git.py tool has --checkout and --chromium-checkout command-line flags that can be used to check out specific commit hashes of CEF and Chromium respectively.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby omryc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks for the help

Is it possible to revert only 1 commit at a time without compiling again everything from scratch?

I tried to use the flags so you mentioned but I received an error messages that says that i have conflicts in the chromium repository.
These conflicts are probably caused by the patches of cef.
Is there another flag that can unpatch cef patches?
I saw the flag --force-update that can probably do it, but I wasn't sure if it would delete everything that i built.

I really don't want to compile the whole project again for each commit, since each build takes more than a day.
omryc

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Changing the chromium commit will require recompiling a large number of files, since you need to revert and then re-apply all patches. Passing --fast-update to automate-git.py will help the build time in some cases, unless the patches also need to be updated due to the Chromium changes.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum