Linux Master Build instructions broken?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Linux Master Build instructions broken?

Postby danmontz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Has anyone tried the build steps for Linux lately? I am running into all sorts of problems.

Question What version of Ubuntu should I be using for the build? I have tried the following 64-bit desktop versions running in V-Box
- v14.04.4
- v14.04.6

The v14.04.x problems started in the install script. The problem was with libcheese-gtk23 libcheese7
I resolved these by running 'sudo apt-get autoremove libcheese-gtk23 libcheese7 and then reran the install.

Then I ran into timestamp error during the create.sh script:
ERROR at //build/timestamp.gni:31:19: Script returned non-zero exit code.
build_timestamp = exec_script(compute_build_timestamp,
I resolved this with cd to build/util and run python lastchange.py -o LASTCHANGE
The create.sh script still wouldn't complete write without adding more GN options.

Then I decided to use 16.04.4 since I saw some info regarding building with that version. The install, update, and create ran great, but now it appears that third-part/llvm is missing so clang fails.

This shouldn't be so difficult. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by danmontz on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danmontz
Techie

Re: Linux Master Build instructions broken?

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Are you building CEF master? What architecture and build type (Debug/Release)? What GN_DEFINES are you using?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby danmontz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 pm

I have tried CEF master with the same issues. Ideally, I would just like to use branch 4044 which I'm downloading now.

I am having problems with both Debug and Release.

My GN_DEFINES are exactly as specified on the Linux Master Build instructions (added --branch=4044 to the automate.py script).

export GN_DEFINES=use_jumbo_build=true

I am trying to follow the build steps exactly, but that apparently is not working (at least for me).
danmontz
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Building on Linux is always more difficult because installed distros/versions are never the same by default. If you don’t like working through the problems I suggest adding use_sysroot=true to your GN_DEFINES to build with the sysroot environment packaged by Google. See here for related details.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby danmontz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks! I have started down the path that you recommended. It will be a few hours before I know the result.
danmontz
Techie

Postby danmontz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:17 am

Yes, the link you specified worked. Thanks!
danmontz
Techie

Return to Support Forum