Sandboxing in CEF

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Sandboxing in CEF

Postby harsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:51 am

We have integrated CEF with our application and it meets all the necessary conditions required to enable sandbox. We have certain questions/doubts regarding sandbox:
1. What features does the CEF's sandbox provides?
2. Is it a modification of chromium sandbox or is it independent?
3. Is it recommended to use the provided sandbox or develop our own sandbox as we will be doing it for our own application?
4. Is it possible to modify the policies and restrictions of the broker process or we have to use it as is?
5. Is there any documentation of CEF sandbox? The following link seems to be old: http://www.chromium.org/developers/desi ... ts/sandbox

Thanks!
harsh
Techie

Re: Sandboxing in CEF

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:25 pm

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby harsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:47 pm

So, calling the cef_sandbox_info_create() function and passing the resulting pointer into both the CefExecutProcess() and CefInitialize() functions is sufficient to enable sandbox?
Also can we modify the broker process policies or regulate the urls that CEF browser opens?
harsh
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

What OS? Policies are generally set in Chromium code and cannot be modified without building CEF/Chromium from source code.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby harsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Windows
harsh
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:48 pm

The requirements for Windows are documented in cef_sandbox_win.h
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby harsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks, I am able to understand the process better now. But to just reconfirm, calling the cef_sandbox_info_create() function and passing the resulting pointer into both the CefExecutProcess() and CefInitialize() functions will enable sandbox. Right? We don't need to write any wrapper/override function.

Edit: We are using CEF to just display a popup notification. A webpage loads up with few buttons and clicking any of them, the popup closes and the required website loads in the web browser.
harsh
Techie

Postby harsh » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 pm

I have followed the steps and implemented them. I can verify from task manager that earlier all the child processes were running in elevated mode but after sandbox, one is running in elevated mode while rest are running in non elevated mode. Is there some other way to correctly verify that cef has been sandboxed successfully? I tried read and write to file inside OnBeforeBrowse function hoping that it would give an error but nothing of that sort happened. It was able to write and read from the file.

Thanks!
harsh
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:24 pm

OnBeforeBrowse is called in the main process which is not sandboxed.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby harsh » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 pm

Oh ok thanks. Can you suggest where can I try for my POC?
harsh
Techie

Next

Return to Support Forum