node.exe missing in third_party tools under Windows

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

node.exe missing in third_party tools under Windows

Postby trogmaniac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:44 pm

[Windows 10, x64]

I'm building CEF for the first time, following the guide from https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ckStart.md

I'm currently stuck a step 8:
Code: Select all
cd c:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src
ninja -C out\Debug_GN_x86 cef
This fails beause there is no node.exe in
C:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\third_party\node\win

The only file is that directory is node.exe.sha1

How do i install the correct node version properly? I could install it anywhere and copy the files over, but i was afraid that might break something in the long run.

There is a shell script "update_node_binaries" in the parent directory, but i can't execute it unter Windows.
trogmaniac

Re: node.exe missing in third_party tools under Windows

Postby Czarek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:12 am

If you're an app developer then you should follow build instructions from the AutomatedBuildSetup wiki page: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ldSetup.md . These instructions are easier to follow and less error-prone.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby linuxcef9 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm

trogmaniac wrote:[Windows 10, x64]

How do i install the correct node version properly? I could install it anywhere and copy the files over, but i was afraid that might break something in the long run.

Did you verify that your automate-git.py script ran correctly? Looks like there was some error when gclient runhooks was run.

go to chromium directory and just run 'gclient runhooks' command again. That should download the node binaries and then you can run ninja command again.
The chromium directory is one where there would be .gclient file.
linuxcef9
Expert

Postby trogmaniac » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks for your answer.

linuxcef9 wrote:
trogmaniac wrote:[Windows 10, x64]

Did you verify that your automate-git.py script ran correctly? Looks like there was some error when gclient runhooks was run.
At least it didn't display any error.

linuxcef9 wrote:go to chromium directory and just run 'gclient runhooks' command again. That should download the node binaries and then you can run ninja command again.
The chromium directory is one where there would be .gclient file.
That lead to something new. First of all, it asked me for:
Username for 'https://chrome-internal.googlesource.com' . Which i had never seen mentioned anywhere before. I don't have an account there and just use my google account and it seemed to continue.

Then i got this error:
No downloadable toolchain found. In order to use your locally installed version of Visual Studio to build Chrome please set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0.
The guide i used uses VS2017 which can't be downloaded anymore, so i used VS2019. I'm wondering if that might be the problem.

I will investigate further.
trogmaniac

Postby linuxcef9 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Oh I dunno why it gave the depot_win_toolchain error. That is handled by CEF itself :

https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... hook.py-46

Try setting the variable manually and see what happens. Also, asking for username to chrome-internal.googlesource.com is weird. I've never seen it and I've built CEF many times.
linuxcef9
Expert

Return to Support Forum