Interaction Between --enable-vulkan and CEF?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Interaction Between --enable-vulkan and CEF?

Postby anlumo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Hello,

Chromium has the flag --enable-vulkan, which apparently enables raster and compositing using Vulkan. Does CEF interact with that in any way? Can I somehow integrate with this compositing process in my code, similar to the OnAccelleratedPaint callback?
anlumo
Techie

Re: Interaction Between --enable-vulkan and CEF?

Postby Czarek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 am

Support for ozone builds was added via https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... port-as-an . Looks like enabling Vulkan would require patching CEF.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby anlumo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:29 pm

I just ran across this code in Chromium:

Code: Select all
    {"enable-vulkan", flag_descriptions::kEnableVulkanName,
     flag_descriptions::kEnableVulkanDescription, kOsLinux | kOsAndroid,
     FEATURE_VALUE_TYPE(features::kVulkan)},

So it's apparently only available in Linux and Android. This is weird, since Windows also supports Vulkan without any issues (and macOS is SOL in any case of course).

Ticket is here
anlumo
Techie

Postby ndesktop » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Vulkan is causing all sorts of issues on Windows.
Look in source code, they have a function called BadVulkanDllVersion.
The "Some early versions of vulkan-1.dll might crash" comment is, unfortunately, applying also to not-so-early versions as well.
I got some months ago quite a number of crash dumps pointing vulkan.dll, vulkan-1.dll etc. - patching BadVulkanDllVersion to return true fixed them.
ndesktop
Master

Postby anlumo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:43 pm

My assumption about Vulkan on Windows is based on the fact that the new Doom uses it and runs really well. However, it’s possible that the vendors specifically test with this game and so any issues that aren’t triggered by it get overlooked.
anlumo
Techie

Postby ndesktop » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:49 pm

anlumo wrote:My assumption about Vulkan on Windows is based on the fact that the new Doom uses it and runs really well. However, it’s possible that the vendors specifically test with this game and so any issues that aren’t triggered by it get overlooked.

I think most of the crashes (at least for me) occurred either on old/unupdated devices, or on weak machines (tablets or so).
DOOM most likely won't see action on a Surface tablet, but on powerful PCs with dedicated GPUs with tons of RAM; usually gamers update regularly their drivers.

I don't know for sure what's going on.
What I know is 1. I got a lot of crashes pointing vulkan-1.dll and 2. chromium source code have dedicated code for bad versions.
These two combined and the fact I'm supporting a CEF-based secure/banking browser was enough for me to pick the defensive path.
Other scenarios might want to choose the more courageous way. Fact is vulkan is a good library put probably need some more polishing.
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum