extra hidden tab stop

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

extra hidden tab stop

Postby michaeladamkatz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm on CEF 3.3578.1860.g36610bd WIndows 10.

I notice that there is an extra "tab stop", as if at the start of the page.

If I have a simple page in CEF with just two buttons on it, when the page comes up, if I press the tab key, the first button gets the focus. So far so good. If I press the tab key again, the second button gets the focus. Also good. If I press the tab key a third time, nothing gets the focus. It's like the focus is on some hidden tab stop. And then if I press the Tab key a fourth time, the first button gets the focus again. This all works the same in reverse, if I hold down the shift key while pressing the tab key. In either direction it's as if there's a hidden tab stop at the start of the page.

I noticed when I'm using Google Chrome that there is similar behavior, but only when a developer tools window is open. In that case, things behave the same as I described above, as if there's a hidden tab stop. For instance, if my cursor is in the URL bar and I press tab, it seems to go to the hidden tab stop (nothing on the Chrome UI, on my page, or on the developer tools window seems to have focus). If I press tab one more time, it goes to the first button on the page.

However, if I close the Chrome developer tools window, the hidden tab stop goes away. Now when I'm in the URL bar and I press tab, it goes straight to the first button on the page.

So what I'm wondering is whether CEF is kind of permanently in whatever state Chrome is in when the developer tools are open, with respect to this "hidden tab stop" behavior. Perhaps I could configure CEF differently in some way so it wouldn't behave like that?
michaeladamkatz
Mentor

Re: extra hidden tab stop

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Is there anything in your html page other than the 2 buttons? How does it behave in the cefsimple application?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby michaeladamkatz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Yes, using the latest Win32 distribution, 3.3626.1891.g52be333, I see this happening in both the debug and release versions of cefsimple. In that application, the cursor starts in the google search edit box, pressing tab repeatedly moves it to the microphone, then to the Google Search button, then to the I'm Feeling Lucky button, then to Privacy, then to Terms, then to Settings, then to Advertising, then to Business. At that point, pressing tab one more time moves the cursor to the mysterious hidden state where nothing on the page or window UI has focus. Pressing it one more time loops back to the start of the page with About, Store, and so on.

And yes, with my own minimal application it happens where there are just two buttons on the page, or even just one button (literally just a single button element in the body element, nothing else on the page). However, as I say, when I load that same page in Chrome itself (when not using the developer tools) the problem goes away (but if I have the developer tools window open the problem happens).
michaeladamkatz
Mentor

Postby michaeladamkatz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Bump. Can you confirm this on your own cefsimple?
michaeladamkatz
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Yes, I see the same behavior.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby michaeladamkatz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Can you let me know if this is something you'll look into fixing in the near term? It's okay if not, but I need to decide if I should upgrade to the latest build now (to address some other issues), or wait until there's also a fix for this issue. Thanks for your help.
michaeladamkatz
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:51 pm

This is not something that I’m planning to look into. PRs are welcome :)
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum