Can i use JCEF to render a java GUI on the web

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

Can i use JCEF to render a java GUI on the web

Postby orims » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello, I'm doing some research on how a desktop GUI (developed in Java) can be hosted on a website with full functionality. My plan is to avoid making a web application with HTML5 and JS. during my research, I came across JCEF. Can i use JCEF (as some sort of wrapper) to render a java GUI on the web. I'm fairly new to this, please try to simplify your response. Thanks a lot.
orims

Re: Can i use JCEF to render a java GUI on the web

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:07 pm

If your intention is to run JCEF as a plugin in another browser then probably not.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby orims » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 pm

So i get a good understanding, take this scenario: my wesite is www.webname.com for example. i want this url to direct a user to a page that hosts a fully functioning Java GUI. A user can be located anywhere in the world with internet access.

If i understand correctly, What you're saying is. if this user tries accessing my website via any browser that isnt Chrome, it wont work. Did i understand that right?
orims

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pm

You will need to implement your program using HTML/JS, WebAssembly or Flash. There is no other supported cross-browser technology.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to JCEF Forum