Overall stability with latest updates?

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

Overall stability with latest updates?

Postby THill » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:30 pm

We are seriously looking at using JCEF as a Java-based dedicated client for our LAN-based product. We have several applets that cause nothing but grief. So we want to move that code in to a Java application and interface it via JavaScript in the web-side of the client app.

It seems all the pieces 'n parts to do this are there. We have downloaded and built as prescribed in Branches and Building without error however the results are quite unstable. We're building:

Code: Select all
      JCEF : 115
       CEF : 3.2171.1902 from cefbuilds.com
  Chromium : 39.0.2171.36
      Java : 1.7.0_67 64-bit from Oracle Corporation
       C++ : Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Unstable as in things like hard lock-ups of the application, hanging when launching Dev Tools, hanging going down and needing to be killed, errors on the console about cannot create a pipe and errors establishing a GPU channel. We have built both 32- and 64-bit but both behave about the same.

:?: The question is: Are we doing something wrong, or is this the current state of things?

After several days of heading-banging I'm not sure how to proceed.
THill

Re: Overall stability with latest updates?

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:40 pm

THill wrote:The question is: Are we doing something wrong, or is this the current state of things?

That's hard to say without knowing specifically what you're doing and what problems you're running into. Please provide details about each problem and whether it reproduces with the JCEF sample applications. If the problem reproduces with the sample applications please file a bug including detailed reproduction steps at https://code.google.com/p/javachromiume ... ssues/list. Finally, as JCEF is an open source project, contributions are welcome and all users are encouraged to debug issues and submit proposed fixes.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby THill » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks Marshall. I'm in the process of setting-up a new clean environment and will rebuild everything in debug. Then will methodically run the detailed test application and provide the needed information.

Getting this stable for 32- and 64-bit Windows including the debugger is important for my employer. It can be both or just 32-bit as long as it runs on both Windows versions.

Are folks running it successfully?

If not, and it's more of a research and development situation, I need to tell them so we can plan accordingly. That may be fine and I can take some time working on it. But I need to know because now that they are aware of it it has turned into a big deal and I'm under pressure to make a new tool for our customers quickly. But if we can make it stable it sure is a good way to get rid of applets without rewritten all that code.

Thanks again.
THill

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Companies are using JCEF and it is currently under development. Providing detailed information as requested above is a good start towards resolving any problems that you're experiencing. That said, open source does not equate to free software development -- you should expect to contribute time and development resources towards the resolution of your problems.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby kaiklimke » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:51 am

Hi THill,

I'm developing for JCEF over a year now (nearly exclusive) and therefore increased the codebase approx. by factor 10.
Now the most important classes and methods are available in JCEF and therefore it's time to work on its stability.

By doing that, the most important thing to keep in mind is the multi-platform architecture. At least Mac and Windows are the two core platforms it has to run on. Linux is currently somewhat "behind" because it's currently not possible to use windowed rendered over offscreen rendered web browser.

I would really like to see to get more developers on board of this great project.

So, if you have any questions according JCEF, its architecture or anything else, don't hesitate to contact me.
In the company I'm working for we're preparing to use JCEF in one of our core products with begin of next year.

Regards,
Kai
kaiklimke
Techie

Postby THill » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:04 pm

I am "formally" testing on 32- and 64-bit and writing tickets as requested (the rockney email address). I know the project does not directly support 32-bit but my employer and others need it - so while testing doing both might be useful. When these tests are complete I will also attempt testing the 32-bit build on a 64-bit O/S.

As mentioned in a couple of tickets, using a fresh check-out and clean build of 3.2171.1902.115 with exact-match CEF builds from cefbuilds.com. On Windows 7 Pro both 32-bit and 64-bit in VMware VMs; Visual Studio Pro 2010; Java 7u71.

Note: While doing this testing I discovered the option --no-sandbox causes problems and the application runs much better with no options.
THill

Postby THill » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Completed basic testing with all the menu dialogs and options for 32-bit, 64-bit, and 32- on a 64-bit operating system. Issues were written for each major bump in the road with 64-bit only. But the 32-bit behaved identically.

Except one exception where Bookmarks, Scheme-Handler Test 2:(scheme "search") - the barrel roll - throws an exception in 32-bit but not 64-bit. If you're interested I can write-up that issue as well. Other than that 32-bit and 32- on a 64-bit O/S appears to behave the same as the 64-bit including the issues written.

Three of the issues revolve around this exception: FATAL:v8_impl.cc(81)] Check failed: context_map_.empty().

I hope those write-ups are valid, understandable, and reproducible.

:oops: My earlier post about it being very unstable seems to have been the --no-sandbox option we had been using with the June 2014 code.

Not everything is entirely stable - but it seems close.
THill

Return to JCEF Forum