Is there a way to include flash on JCEF?

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

Is there a way to include flash on JCEF?

Postby engnorm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:24 am

I've attempted multiple methods to include flash as PPAPI and NPAPI. Given that the NPAPI will be dropped in January 2014, I cannot say it will be a good idea to use it.

First is the register pepper plugins command line:
register-pepper-plugins=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so;application/x-shockwave-flash

Which is detected as 15.0.0.239 as expected at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about, but the flash content itself does not play. I assume it is due to this: "1127/210342:ERROR:web_contents_delegate.cc(180)] WebContentsDelegate::CheckMediaAccessPermission: Not supported." Seeing as how it will keep happening when I attempt to play flash content.

Since that did not work, the next idea what to look at the flags that Chromium uses for PPAPI flasg which are:
ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so ppapi-flash-version=15.0.0.239

This does not work at all as if they are being ignored when passed to the jcef_helper.

Last idea was to use the NPAPI meaning to use the Web Plugin manager:
CefWebPluginManager.getGlobalManager().addPlugin("/home/user/libflashplayer.so");
CefWebPluginManager.getGlobalManager().refreshPlugins();

I've tried addPluginDirectory as well and that does not work at all just like the flags above.

Is there something that I am missing? If flash cannot be used from jcef then I'm considering dropping jcef and building a cef based browser that I could use with selenium assuming flash works with it.
engnorm

Re: Is there a way to include flash on JCEF?

Postby engnorm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Hmm, so I attempted the second idea (--ppapi-flash-path) again with cefclient and see that when it spawns the cefclient processes past the browser process then it does not pass those specific flags to them like the chromium browser does, so it is a cef problem rather than a jcef then. I'll look into the cef source code and see why.
engnorm

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:38 pm

CEF does not support pepper flash.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby engnorm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Any reason why specifically? I read the older posts about it not supporting pepper flash, which is why I attempted to use the NPAPI flash plugin, but it appears not to register. I believe the reason CEF did not support pepper flash was due to chromium not implementing the ppapi interface that chrome had. I assume that chromium supports it now given that I tested it in a chromium browser with those flags. CEF is using a build of chromium browser correct?

Is there any direction you can point me towards, so I could attempt to implement it?
engnorm

Postby engnorm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:21 pm

I see, upon comparison of the libcef source code and the chromium source, libcef is just a subset of chromium just including the browser with little to none of the ppapi source, which is why the ppapi-flash-path flag is ignored. Well, I hope this clears it up for people who wanted to enable flash pepper plugin.
engnorm

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Pepper Flash requires private APIs that are only implemented in the Google Chrome browser source code (chrome/ folder). Since using Pepper Flash requires a paid license from Adobe there is not much incentive to support Pepper Flash in the open source CEF product.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to JCEF Forum