so so confused...please help

Having problems with building or using the CefGlue .NET/Mono binding? Ask your questions here.

Moderator: fddima

so so confused...please help

Postby codelfitsleep » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:26 pm

I am simply trying to get what I need to actually use CEFGlue in a C# WPF Project.

I see repositories, builds that reference Chromium version 41 from 2 years ago instead of the newer 55 or 56 builds, and in general I'm really confused as to where to go and what to do to get started.

Could someone please provide links and exact steps as to what to do to get the latest released build to use in a project? As an aside, you might want to try stickying some form of instructions as to how to utilize this in a project like cefSharp does

Thank you
codelfitsleep

Re: so so confused...please help

Postby fddima » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Hello.

1. Please dedcribe that type of app you try to implement.
Question are about that windowless rendering is often suboptimal to 99% of users.

2. Of course you should target on latest stable releases. I.e. chrome 55 at least.

Actually, all necessary samples are provided in cefglue, but mainly they are misunderstooded - this is samples. More over - cefglue provides near to C++ api - which makes everything possible. But, correct choice - is absolutely needed regardless of using direct cef or cefglue. So, please - provide your expectations. Thanks.
fddima
Master

Postby codelfitsleep » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:51 pm

fddima wrote:Hello.

1. Please dedcribe that type of app you try to implement.
Question are about that windowless rendering is often suboptimal to 99% of users.

2. Of course you should target on latest stable releases. I.e. chrome 55 at least.

Actually, all necessary samples are provided in cefglue, but mainly they are misunderstooded - this is samples. More over - cefglue provides near to C++ api - which makes everything possible. But, correct choice - is absolutely needed regardless of using direct cef or cefglue. So, please - provide your expectations. Thanks.

OK, thanks for taking the time to help.

Basically, what I am attempting to do is build a project that utilizes c#/VB.net for the backend logic and Javascript/HTML for the frontend UI. If I had to start from scratch I likely would have just built the app in Electron because there are plenty of options for what I need to do in JS these days, but I already have too much backend code written in .NET to make that feasible. So what I need to do is to make sure things work as seamlessly as possible with the transferring of data between the two(I am assuming some type of AJAX call would likely be the method to do this similar to how we do things in ASP.Net?). The project is in WPF, I started building the UI in that but quickly realized I am stuck in quicksand because so much code has to be written versus what I could accomplish quickly and easily in JS/HTML/Angular, etc...

So in a nutshell I am attempting to do what you would do in ASP.Net without actually using ASP.NET and a server, but simply in a desktop application substituting the Chromium Browser for the actual browser they would be using with ASP.NET.

I have the project mostly working with CEFSharp, but from what I've read CEFGlue has extra functionality built in that CEFSharp does not. I don't like how all variables have to be declared before creating the browser window in CEFSharp, not sure if there is a method to inject variables/data as needed in CEFGlue or not(AJAX Calls?)...CEFSharp also adds an enormous overhead of about 400+ MB to the project which slows things down, so I am hoping CEFGlue might be a little less bulky in that way...
codelfitsleep

Postby fddima » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 pm

So technically - you use browser just for showing content as is. Windowed rendering is much better in that case. You always can try insert winforms browser in wpf application. I'm of coyrse recommend stay back from both: wpf & winforms - but i'm feel that it is not a choice here.
WinForms browser hosted in WPF - is normal working solution. And is preferable cause browser will have best rendering performance.

I'm can't say about required tricks - at last time (it happend some years ago) no tricks has been needed. This can be true or false for now, but in any way you should be able achieve working browser very easily.
fddima
Master

Postby codelfitsleep » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm

fddima wrote:So technically - you use browser just for showing content as is. Windowed rendering is much better in that case. You always can try insert winforms browser in wpf application. I'm of coyrse recommend stay back from both: wpf & winforms - but i'm feel that it is not a choice here.
WinForms browser hosted in WPF - is normal working solution. And is preferable cause browser will have best rendering performance.

I'm can't say about required tricks - at last time (it happend some years ago) no tricks has been needed. This can be true or false for now, but in any way you should be able achieve working browser very easily.

So you are saying I wouldn't need either CEFGlue or CEFSharp to accomplish this? Or that I would use the winforms version of these instead?
codelfitsleep

Postby fddima » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:25 pm

You need at least one .net binding, it is what wrote you.
I say tgat you shoukd avoid windowless rendering and stick with windowed regardless of ui framework.

it may be hard, depending from qualify - i'm no have any idea about.

I think:
1. Choose easiest working solution
2. Simplify it

So...
fddima
Master

Postby codelfitsleep » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:35 pm

fddima wrote:You need at least one .net binding, it is what wrote you.
I say tgat you shoukd avoid windowless rendering and stick with windowed regardless of ui framework.

it may be hard, depending from qualify - i'm no have any idea about.

I think:
1. Choose easiest working solution
2. Simplify it

So...

From what I've investigated using Awesomium might actually streamline things quite a bit for me...it allows for a Chromium browser to be used as a WPF Web Control and I can basically use that instead...

http://wiki.awesomium.net/wpf/webcontro ... at-runtime
codelfitsleep

Postby fddima » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm can't compare awesomium to cef. Every year it can differ. Basically - CEF based solutions is much more flexible in long term plan.

In short term plan - they more expensive for unprepared persons.

So... no have idea wgat you ask for.

PS: If you ask for payed support - i'm can assist to find this goal, but my main answers doesnt assume that. At same time none will learn you to use own lang - pkease - try maximally concretize questions.
fddima
Master

Postby amaitland » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:00 pm

On the Awesomium front I see a lot of people switching from Awesomium to CEF based frameworks.

http://answers.awesomium.com/questions/ ... d-now.html
https://twitter.com/awesomium?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

So just make sure you research before switching....
Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby fddima » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

There is nothing wrong with Awesomium or CEF. From questions ibfeel that our sampkes is not enough. We really want to cover them, but unless cefglue vnext will not has been released - there is no have sense anyway.

Again - in long-term perspective - peoples should learn CEF API anyway.
fddima
Master

Return to CefGlue Forum