GTK dependency

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

GTK dependency

Postby dolik » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 am

Hi everyone,

I'm following the CEF project development for quite a long time, but only recently I finally got time start playing with it. But as soon as I dived into the code, I found out that the whole linux port seems to depend on GTK. Is that right? What about using CEF in non-GTK apps, is it possible?

I write all my applications in different framework (http://ultimatepp.org), so I would be very interested in integrating CEF in it, but the GTK dependency doesn't make it too easy. I definitely don't want to end up running a second event loop just to make the GTK work. I would be completely happy if I could use xlib Window (similar to how HWND is already used on windows) or some similarly simple and straightforward rendering mechanism. I believe it could boost CEFs portability greatly. I'm aware that it would require to provide some more code to achieve the functionality provided by GTK (drag&drop etc.), but that should not be too hard, as any mature framework already provides those.

So, could anyone give me some estimate how much work would it be to use CEF without GTK? Note that I don't mind the dependency in the sense "libgtk must be installed", that is OK. I just would like to drop the "any application using CEF must run on GTK".

Best regards,
Honza
dolik

Re: GTK dependency

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:26 am

It is possible to port CEF to non-GTK frameworks. The amount of work depends on your familiarity with the code base and the completeness of the port. A reasonable minimum estimate for basic functionality is 3-4 weeks.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion