Stability of Chromium Trunk

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Stability of Chromium Trunk

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Marshall,

How satisfied are you with the stability of the Chromium trunk at the revisions listed in CHROMIUM_BUILD_COMPATIBILITY.txt? Has there been any consideration given to possibly pairing revisions against the source for actual releases of Chrome? Would that be difficult to do?

Thank you for putting together and maintaining this great project.
Eric

Re: Stability of Chromium Trunk

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay in approving your post.

The requirements for choosing an appropriate Chromium revision and updating CEF are described @ http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedd ... miumUpdate. In short, the only requirements are that the Chromium build be "green" and that all CEF tests pass. It should be relatively easy to build CEF against a release branch of Chromium by identifying the trunk revision at which the release was branched and choosing the CEF revision accordingly. It makes sense to eventually provide stable and release branches of CEF that follow this pattern as part of a regular release cycle but it hasn't seemed worth the time investment up to this point.

Regards,
Marshall
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby andreydani » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 am

Hello Marshall and Eric,

First of all I´m a big fan of this project.

After reading the rules for choosing chromium´s trunk version I was wondering if automated tests - which deliver an "all green" version of chromium - are enough to deploy a stable version.

For instance, the CEF version 151 had troubles loading "html5test.com" page and the newest gmail, and by troubles I mean crashes and AVs, not some sort of unsupported HTML/javascript extension.

Since chromium has its calendar (https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org ... s/calendar), chromium embedded could deploy its versions based on these "feature frozen" versions and benefit from their stability releases.

Some great projects do that (for example, Ubuntu has its cycle based on Gnome).

Probably, CEF wouldn´t have the latest features, but would be much more secure for applications.

Best Regards,

Andrey
andreydani

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Andrey,

After reading the rules for choosing chromium´s trunk version I was wondering if automated tests - which deliver an "all green" version of chromium - are enough to deploy a stable version.

CEF's automated testing coverage is still rather limited. Assistance in developing more automated tests for CEF would be very welcome. It might also be worthwhile to explore whether we can run the DumpRenderTree and/or test_shell tests using CEF -- that would give us access to a huge existing body of tests.

Since chromium has its calendar (https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org ... s/calendar), chromium embedded could deploy its versions based on these "feature frozen" versions and benefit from their stability releases.

I agree that it would be nice if CEF tracked stable releases of Chromium. Unfortunately this takes time and nobody has yet stepped forward to volunteer for or provide funding for this effort.

Regards,
Marshall
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby zaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 pm

I'd love to see CEF releases built against the stable releases of Chromium as well.

I agree that it would be nice if CEF tracked stable releases of Chromium. Unfortunately this takes time and nobody has yet stepped forward to volunteer for or provide funding for this effort.

How much funding do you think would be necessary in order to make it worth your while?
zaz

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 pm

How much funding do you think would be necessary in order to make it worth your while?

Maintaining a CEF stable branch would require an ongoing commitment of around 3-5 hours per week (mostly rolling in the Chromium and CEF bug/security fixes). If you're interested in funding this effort I would be happy to discuss the options with you in private.

Regards,
Marshall
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion