CEF Future Direction

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Re: CEF Future Direction

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Phil,

CEF does not currently support the Webkit Inspector. Adding support for it would be relatively simple -- a matter of reviewing the test_shell implementation and bringing over the relevant bits. My only minor concern with adding the Inspector in the current version of CEF is that it uses separate CSS/JS/HTML files (see the resources\inspector directory). This type of distribution complexity is something that I feel is generally better targeted for CEF2 which will be based on the complete Chromium distribution.

That said, feel free to create an entry for this on the CEF issue tracker. If you have the ability/inclination, patches to add the support are also welcome.

Regards,
Marshall
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Macintosh?

Postby JoeAndrieu » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Any idea when we might see CEF working on the Mac?
JoeAndrieu
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:20 pm

It appears that Valve is working on a Mac port of CEF but I don't know what their plans are for contributing it back to the community. I don't have a Mac myself, so we probably won't see a Mac port until someone with a Mac steps forward and volunteers to create it :-).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby lscoughlin » Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 pm

What would the porting time frame look like if someone were to donate a mac too you?
lscoughlin

Postby magreenblatt » Thu May 13, 2010 3:07 pm

What would the porting time frame look like if someone were to donate a mac too you?

Having access to a Mac with all hardware and software necessary to build Chromium in a reasonable period of time is definitely one requirement for creating a Mac port. Another requirement is having approx 40 hours of free time to develop it [1], plus an ongoing time commitment to support it, which is somewhat harder to come by (for me, at least). I would love to see a Mac port, but unfortunately I just don't have the free time to do it myself in the foreseeable future given my current priorities [2]. Also, I see creating a Linux port as a slightly more pressing free time project since there really aren't any good alternatives currently on Linux (whereas Mac has WebKit built into the OS), and Linux is generally easier to come by for most users. But don't let me discourage anyone who might be interested in stepping forward to develop and support the Mac port if someone out there is willing to donate them a Mac :-).

[1] General CEF porting information can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedd ... tail?id=40
[2] If someone would like to sponsor development of the Mac port (or any other port for that matter) I would be happy to discuss the possibilities with them privately.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby lodle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 am

Im trying to add inspector to cef but the test_shell inspect doesnt work for the latest cef build (well the same svn chromium version for the newest build). Any one got any suggestions on how to get it to work so i can get it to work inside cef?
lodle
Techie

Postby MarkDouma » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:23 pm

magreenblatt wrote:It appears that Valve is working on a Mac port of CEF but I don't know what their plans are for contributing it back to the community. I don't have a Mac myself, so we probably won't see a Mac port until someone with a Mac steps forward and volunteers to create it :-).

Found this link on Valve's site:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... _Framework

"The Source code for Valve's usage of the Chromium Embedded Framework can be downloaded here:" http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/im ... 162010.zip (Warning, download is around 2 GB).
"This drop is based off the CEF code base at revision #65 and the Chromium code base at revision #35902."

A quick initial comparison of the cef folder itself shows obvious signs of Mac support: additional Mac-specific headers and implementation files, and platform-specific compiler directives.

So, if I already have an existing up-to-date chromium source folder, and have gclient & depot_tools installed, could I create a copy of that folder and then use something like "gclient sync --revision src@35902" to theoretically bring (or revert) that copy back to that revision in order to do a comparison against Valve's code?
MarkDouma

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:27 pm

So, if I already have an existing up-to-date chromium source folder, and have gclient & depot_tools installed, could I create a copy of that folder and then use something like "gclient sync --revision src@35902" to theoretically bring (or revert) that copy back to that revision in order to do a comparison against Valve's code?

If the archive created by Valve contains the SVN information (.svn folders) then you can use your preferred SVN diff tools for viewing Valve's modifications without any further work. Otherwise, you'll need to follow a process like you describe.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Transparent mode

Postby Gilnotif » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi,

Did anyone finally succeeded to run CEF in a transparency mode which shows the desktop and let the user function with it similar to the Mac OS?

Thanks Gil
Gilnotif

Postby Benvie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Benvie
Techie

PreviousNext

Return to CEF Discussion