Deployment question

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Deployment question

Postby tayar » Wed May 11, 2011 8:36 am

Hello,

We would like to develop an application using CEF. However we are concerned about compatibility of the future versions of Chrome and CEF and would like to minimize possible maintenance.

My question is following: is there any way to install all required Chrome files to the client's computer so the user won't be forced to install Chrome manually and also that we will be always sure what file versions are currently used.

Thanks in advance,
Vitaly
tayar

Re: Deployment question

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 am

is there any way to install all required Chrome files to the client's computer so the user won't be forced to install Chrome manually and also that we will be always sure what file versions are currently used.

This depends on what features you require.

1. All files needed to use CEF (excluding third party plugins like Flash and Acrobat) are distributed as part of the binary release -- you don't need to install Chrome.

2. The minimum required DLLs are icudt.dll and libcef.dll. Starting with binary release 131 both of these DLLs include version information.

3. For HTML5 audio/video support you will need to distribute avcodec-52.dll, avformat-52.dll and avutil-50.dll.

4. For WebKit Inspector support you will need to distribute all files in the "resources" directory.

5. For third party plugins the best option is probably including the redistributable installers for those plugins as part of your application install process. It may be possible to distribute the Chrome Flash plugin as part of your application but that can be problematic (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=242). See src\webkit\plugins\npapi\plugin_list_win.cc for the logic used to detect third party plugin locations.

Regards,
Marshall
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby tayar » Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 am

Hi Marshall,

thanks for your quick reply.

After further investigation I found that the problem in the test computer was most probably not because of dlls, but because of proxy (as it can successfully open pages on internal network). I've read that there are some issues with auto-detection of proxy settings. However both test computers have manual proxy settings. The only difference is that computer where it worked use XP, and where it didn't work has Win7.

Can you please give me hint where I can find a solution?

Thanks
Vitaly
tayar

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 am

Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=172 for proxy debugging steps.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby dreijer » Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 pm

What happens if the WebKit Inspector resource folder isn't included when deploying? That is, do I have to explicitly use it or does CEF try to use it automatically for certain things?
dreijer
Expert

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 pm

dreijer wrote:What happens if the WebKit Inspector resource folder isn't included when deploying? That is, do I have to explicitly use it or does CEF try to use it automatically for certain things?

The WebKit inspector is only loaded when you explicitly call ShowDevTools().
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby dreijer » Wed May 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Alright, I'll leave that out for now then :) Thanks.
dreijer
Expert

Return to CEF Discussion