NEWB - GENERAL CEF QUESTION

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

NEWB - GENERAL CEF QUESTION

Postby marekh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:21 am

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to post this - if not please let me know.
I am new to CEF and have downloaded and examined the source code, as well as downloading Blink, Skia and the full Chromium source.
I have been looking around the code in the various directories - and have some questions. I'd appreciate any assistance, thanks.

1. What is the relationship between CEF and Chromium in terms of SRC code. I read that CEF is based on the Content dir of Chromium (A ???) but the relationship isn't that obvious to me, if that is true.

2. I understand that Ozone provides the 'portability' layer for A) CEF, B) Chromium (T/F?)?

3. There are no direct includes of any Ozone stuff in CEF source - so how is it used exactly? Some sort of factory method? If so what underpins both CEF and Ozone to make this possible.

4. Does CEF actually work over Wayland/GL/EGL?

5. Has anyone seen, or are their implementations of CEF (possibly using Ozone) running over DirectFB?

6. VIEWS and AURA are both part of the Chromium SRC, but not CEF. (A) Are they (either of them) used by CEF? (B) if so how does the build work (if they're not in the CEF SRC?

7. Final question (for now :-) - Ozone doesn't have any graphics primitives - AFAICS - does it just deal with providing surfaces (in an EGL sor of manner) to (A) CEF, (B) Skia as called by CEF - or does it do somethingielse.

Many thanks if anyone can assist.
Regards,
Marek.
marekh

Re: NEWB - GENERAL CEF QUESTION

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:26 am

CEF is based on Chromium. CEF code lives in the src/cef directory. Ozone is a low-level platform abstraction documented here. Views and Aura are windowing frameworks with details here. CEF supports Views-based widgets on Windows and macOS via the interfaces at include/views. CEF's ozone support is currently limited to off-screen rendering via the CefRenderHandler interface.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion