Light CEF for embedded computing platform (old ARM 32)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Light CEF for embedded computing platform (old ARM 32)

Postby DavidUser » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I need put a browser GUI on my embedded device, this need have basic html, css and bindings with C++. Should too draw directly on framebuffer.
I want use CEF to this but I have 2 big issues:
- How compile CEF to ARMv6l? I already have a cross compiler toolchain based on GCC.
- How dry libcef.so or just static build to take at maximum 20 MB of size?
DavidUser

Re: Light CEF for embedded computing platform (old ARM 32)

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:53 pm

If your ARM device is supported by Chromium then it should be possible to build CEF as well. However, you will not get Chromium or CEF down to 20MB.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby DavidUser » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks magreeblatt.

There is some way to get a libcef.a (static library), or something similar to get a smaller executable instead put the entire dynamic library on device?
DavidUser

Postby Czarek » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Probably, but nothing officially documented.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby ScottKevill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Another recently announced option might be useful one day is Ultralight. Some discussion on HackerNews. Developed by the author of Awesomium.

Not suitable for your case yet though. Windows & Mac only, GPU required, commercial and closed-source.

We started over with WebKit, stripped it to the bare-minimum, then rebuilt it from scratch with an eye towards embedding. The result is a fast, lightweight, low-memory HTML UI solution that blends the power of Chromium with the small footprint of Native UI.

Awesomium was similar in scope to CEF (and actually predates it by many months), it's goal was to wrap Chromium and make it accessible via a pixel buffer instead of a platform window.

Chromium in its initial stages was very tight and focused in its scope and only supported a subset of the current web platform we see today, I think the first Awesomium DLLs were something like 18MB or less.

Over the years Chromium grew larger and accumulated more complexity to a point where it was no longer a web renderer but something closer to an OS platform. Many of the features added were somewhat irrelevant for users looking to render HTML as a frontend but downstream developers like Awesomium and CEF had no choice but to integrate their updates as a whole since we were de-facto wrappers.

Ultralight is different. It's a hard fork of WebKit and has a considerable number of differences tuned specifically for embedders (such as the Platform API and virtual GPUDriver). We have much more control over the project and will continue making design decisions that benefit embedding as a first-class use-case.

Reasons to use Ultralight over EAWebKit are ease of use, pure GPU rendering and performance (EAWebKit, last I checked, depends on Cairo for all its rendering), and the backing of an actual commercial company that will support and maintain the product for years to come.
ScottKevill
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:13 pm

Good luck to them. Maintaining a fork of WebKit without a medium-to-large team of developers will be tough.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion