Using CEF in a closed source app.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Using CEF in a closed source app.

Postby emauro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 am

Can we use CEF in a closed source app? It seems so since nothing uses GPL licensing but we would like to be sure before we start coding/changing our app. Thanks!!
emauro

Re: Using CEF in a closed source app.

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 am

You can see the licensing terms for all components of CEF and Chromium here: http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that everything provided as part of the CEF binary distribution can be redistributed with closed source third-party applications without violating license terms. If you need a definitive answer you should consult legal council.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby zakn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:00 pm

magreenblatt wrote:You can see the licensing terms for all components of CEF and Chromium here: http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html

This link is dead. Do you have an updated link for the CEF / Chromium licenses?
zakn

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:07 pm

You can find the license of third party projects used by Chrome at chrome://credits in the browser.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby zakn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks Marshall. Does the New BSD license that covers CEF include all of the CEF components (libcef.dylib, chrome.pak, etc.)?

I guess I'm wondering if I need to concern myself with the the licenses of these third party projects. Since everything eventually gets compiled into CEF, and CEF is New BSD, is that it?
zakn

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 pm

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that everything provided as part of the CEF binary distribution can be redistributed with third-party applications without violating license terms. If you need a definitive answer you should consult legal council.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby paperjam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:24 pm

magreenblatt wrote:You can find the license of third party projects used by Chrome at chrome://credits in the browser.

That doesn't seem to work in CEF. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easy way to have this work like in Chrome? Thanks!
Edit: to be clear, I get "Error -302 when loading url chrome://credits"
paperjam
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:40 am

paperjam wrote:
magreenblatt wrote:You can find the license of third party projects used by Chrome at chrome://credits in the browser.

That doesn't seem to work in CEF. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easy way to have this work like in Chrome? Thanks!
Edit: to be clear, I get "Error -302 when loading url chrome://credits"

It would be a good idea to make this work in CEF. Please add an issue to the CEF issue tracker.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion