Licensing for CEF derivatives

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Licensing for CEF derivatives

Postby tml » Wed May 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi,

I'm the developer of the CEF.swift library (Swift bindings for CEF). Previously I didn't care much about setting any license for it so I just went with the usual copyright notice that came with the Xcode template. However, recently I have been asked to clarify the licensing status of my work. I'm thinking of using a permissive license like MIT or BSD but I'm not sure about the implications of CEF being licensed under BSD. Is BSD transitive? Or can I release CEF.swift under MIT?

Any guidance is welcome.
tml
Techie

Re: Licensing for CEF derivatives

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 11, 2016 2:34 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by transitive. CEF's BSD license text is here: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ew-default. There are no conditions or requirements beyond what is specified in the license text.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby tml » Thu May 12, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm not by far skilled in understanding fine print so please confirm if the following is a valid option for me to go with:

1. I place the following copyright notice in each and every source file I provide

Code: Select all
// Copyright (c) <YEAR> <MY_NAME>. All rights reserved.
// Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
// found in the LICENSE file.

2. In addition, I create a LICENSE file in the root of the source code repo with the following content:

Code: Select all
// Copyright (c) <YEAR> <MY_NAME>.
// Portions Copyright (c) 2008-2014 Marshall A. Greenblatt.
// Portions Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Google Inc.
// All rights reserved.
// <REST_OF_BSD_LICENSE>

Is it okay like this?
tml
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu May 12, 2016 3:15 pm

If there are individual source files that contain code from other places then you should include the "Portions ..." text or relevant license text if other than BSD in those file headers as well. Otherwise, it looks OK to me. However, the usual disclaimers apply (I am not a lawyer, etc.).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion