CEF 3 Memory footprint

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

CEF 3 Memory footprint

Postby veeravenkatraja » Sun May 10, 2015 1:32 pm

We have leveraged CEF3 to host multiple web applications in one desktop shell. And now we have about 14 applications loaded through this. but if you look at the memory consumptions its alarming! we could see close 850 MB with 1 browser process and 7 render processes. Whereas, if i load the same in chrome window, it doesn't cross more than 400 MB. which is 50% of improvement. Could anyone please guide us on best practices to reduce memory through CEF3 ?
veeravenkatraja

Re: CEF 3 Memory footprint

Postby magreenblatt » Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 am

What OS and CEF3 version? Are you creating multiple browsers? If so, are all of the browsers visible at the same time?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby veeravenkatraja » Tue May 12, 2015 1:38 pm

What OS ?
Windows 7

What CEF3 version ?

did you mean, which CEF3 build ?

Are you creating multiple browsers?

Yes

If so, are all of the browsers visible at the same time?

Well, yes. Currently, we have not enabled pre-loading that means we dont load all the browsers at once. however, you may choose to pick all the instances.
veeravenkatraja

Postby magreenblatt » Tue May 12, 2015 2:49 pm

veeravenkatraja wrote:did you mean, which CEF3 build ?

Yes. For example, 3.2272.2077.

veeravenkatraja wrote:dIf so, are all of the browsers visible at the same time?

Well, yes. Currently, we have not enabled pre-loading that means we dont load all the browsers at once. however, you may choose to pick all the instances.

That's likely the difference. Google Chrome generally only has one browser (tab) visible at the time, which significantly reduces the memory usage of the non-visible browsers. Try creating multiple Google Chrome windows that are all visible at the same time and then compare memory usage.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby veeravenkatraja » Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 am

We use 3.2062.1898

I couldnt actually see much of a difference though when i simulated this through chrome instance. Here is the report of my comparison,

Two apps in one dedicated chrome instance with two chrome tabs

2chrome1tabeach.jpg
Two apps in one dedicated chrome instance with two chrome tabs
2chrome1tabeach.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 12133 times

Two apps in two dedicated chrome instances

1chrome2tabs.jpg
Two apps in two dedicated chrome instances
1chrome2tabs.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 12133 times

If you still think, Active & Inactive can improve performance is there a way that i can get this through CEF3. so that, even if the screen is on user view - only when it is brought to focus we make that tab active ?
veeravenkatraja

Postby magreenblatt » Wed May 13, 2015 7:56 am

veeravenkatraja wrote:We use 3.2062.1898

This is Chromium 37. What version of Google Chrome are you testing with? If it is not Google Chrome 37 then you are not making a meaningful comparison.

veeravenkatraja wrote:If you still think, Active & Inactive can improve performance is there a way that i can get this through CEF3. so that, even if the screen is on user view - only when it is brought to focus we make that tab active ?

No, hidden browsers do not render.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion