access javascript values from element in embedded browser

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

access javascript values from element in embedded browser

Postby carl20122 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Hello, I have a third party app that obviously has an embedded browser.

It displays a window with a temperature reading from a sensor connected to the USB port.
When I right click on the temperature field there is an "Inspect" option which opens the Chrome Web Inspector.
If I disconnect the computer from the Internet the application and temperature reading continues to function normally so I know that whatever "server" process is happening that it is local to the machine.

I'm guessing it is CEF based but am ignorant in this domain so could be wrong about that.

The Inspector states the file is "index.html" within the 'www' folder of the install directory made by the third party application.
This index file is full of references to javascript files in a 'javascripts' subfolder.

Is there a way that I can attach to this program from my own software and retrieve the data it is displaying?

I posted this question on another forum and her advice was to pick through the javascripts and find out how the embedded browser retrieves the data (e.g. through an AJAX call) and then just do the same AJAX call from my code.
But I'm also ignorant of javascript (and AJAX) and there is a lot of code there to pick through.

So I was wondering - does anyone on this forum may know of an alternative way to retrieve this data from an embedded browser?
carl20122

Return to CEF Discussion