Outputting to a specific sound card

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Outputting to a specific sound card

Postby dublet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:03 am

Hello,

For an application I'm developing I'm interested in being able to output to multiple sound cards. My computer has multiple sound cards and it would be very useful to be able to direct the audio from any video being played in a specific instance of the browser to a specific sound card. So I'll have 2 CefBrowser instances, say A and B, and 2 sound cards, say X and Y, where I want A to output only to X and B only to Y if that makes sense. :)

The application runs specifically on Windows, and I know this can be achieved through the DirectSound API but I can't see any way to set any audio parameters. Does anyone have any pointers or insights as to how CEF plays back sound. I don't mind doing a platform specific fix but I can't see where to hook into, so any information at all would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
dublet

Re: Outputting to a specific sound card

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 am

You can start by seeing if it's possible to have separate Google Chrome windows target different sound cards. If that's not possible than it's likely also not possible in CEF.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: Outputting to a specific sound card

Postby dublet » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:21 am

After some research, I'm afraid I have to concolude that it does not appear to be possible. The main thing is that even if it were possible in Chrome, many of the things that produce sound are third party plugins such as Flash. Flash has a long standing omissions of not being able to select a specific output device either. :(

When/if Flash is replaced with HTML5 videos, there might be a chance of adding this to Chrome, as the DirectSound code for enumerating sound devices and selecting a specific one isn't very difficult. :)
dublet

Return to CEF Discussion