Process architecture

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Process architecture

Postby rado » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm developing application which runs 10 or 20 processes doing some task in background (invisible window, so I don't need to download images, play videos, run flash, etc. but I need to run Javascript). I've started to reimplement it using CEF1 long time ago in spare time, but before it was finished CEF1 became unsupported so I guess I need to start again with CEF3. But I'm concerned about it's multi process nature. As I can see in cef test application, it uses minimum of 3 processes (browser, renderer, gpu). It means my application would create 30 to 60 processes which seems to me huge overkill.
Is there some way how to reduce number of processes? The single-process mode is not recommended to be used.
Is it possible to disable for example GPU process? I've tried to turn on off-screen rendering in cef test application, but it didn't help.
Is it possible to have one browser process with 10 threads (for separate and autonomous environments e.g. own sessions and cookies) where each thread would have it's own renderer process?
Thank you
rado
Expert

Re: Process architecture

Postby Czarek » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:54 am

Most of these processes are Renderer processes? You can try limit them using the --renderer-process-limit switch (not tested whether it works with CEF):
http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-co ... cess-limit
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Re: Process architecture

Postby past08 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm developing application which runs 10 or 20 processes doing some task in background (invisible window, so I don't need to download images, play videos, run flash, etc. but I need to run Javascript). I've started to reimplement it using CEF1 long time ago in spare time, but before it was finished CEF1 became unsupported so I guess I need to start again with CEF3. But I'm concerned about it's multi process nature. As I can see in cef test application, it uses minimum of 3 processes (browser, renderer, gpu). It means my application would create 30 to 60 processes which seems to me huge overkill.
Is there some way how to reduce number of Architects in UAE processes? The single-process mode is not recommended to be used.
Is it possible to disable for example GPU process? I've tried to turn on off-screen rendering in cef test application, but it didn't help.
Is it possible to have one browser process with 10 threads (for separate and autonomous environments e.g. own sessions and cookies) where each thread would have it's own renderer process?
Thank you

Can I know most of these processes are Renderer processes?
past08

Return to CEF Discussion