How about the notification in CEF3?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Re: How about the notification in CEF3?

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:56 pm

acwest wrote:
magreenblatt wrote:CEF3 does not support the notification API. You will need to create your own modal dialogs in your application using native code.

I saw the the ticket: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembed ... tion%20api which states that the Notification API will not be implemented, but there is no explanation of why? Ticket 173 had patches with most of the implementation done for CEF 1.
Are there any call-backs available to allow us to create our own implementation in native code?

Notifications are an application-level feature that require platform-specific code to implement. We don't feel that's a good match for CEF's focus as an embedded web browser. You can define your own JavaScript bindings as described on the GeneralUsage and JavaScriptIntegration wiki pages.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby acwest » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:46 am

magreenblatt wrote:Notifications are an application-level feature that require platform-specific code to implement. We don't feel that's a good match for CEF's focus as an embedded web browser. You can define your own JavaScript bindings as described on the GeneralUsage and JavaScriptIntegration wiki pages.

By support I wasn't suggesting that the display of the notification messages needs to be supplied, but a predefined callback mechanism to allow easy addition of the platform specific code would be good, and would seem to cut down on duplicated coding effort. Re-inventing the wheel isn't as fun as it was twenty years ago...
acwest

Postby fddima » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Re-inventing the wheel isn't as fun as it was twenty years ago...

Sorry, man, but "Web Platform" initiatives "twenty" years re-invent the wheel....
fddima
Master

Postby acwest » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:20 pm

fddima wrote:Sorry, man, but "Web Platform" initiatives "twenty" years re-invent the wheel....

I'm pretty sure re-inventing the wheel is almost as old s the invention of the wheel (within five minutes or so...) Twenty years is just how long it's been since I have enjoyed doing it... :D
acwest

Postby fddima » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:34 pm

acwest wrote:
fddima wrote:Sorry, man, but "Web Platform" initiatives "twenty" years re-invent the wheel....

I'm pretty sure re-inventing the wheel is almost as old s the invention of the wheel (within five minutes or so...) Twenty years is just how long it's been since I have enjoyed doing it... :D

My ironic message about that implement some web api, any if them will be compatible with "standards" - it is too small thing. Much more work it is about actual (platform) implementation. So - i'm disagree that CEF should implement some things like this. It is possible only if things like this will be hosted by chromium portion of code, what actually is not happens (and may be never happens). If you want have notification api - implement it. CEF already have anything required todo it.
fddima
Master

Previous

Return to CEF Discussion