Content Shell vs. Cef Client

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Content Shell vs. Cef Client

Postby Mayhew » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 pm

I just ran across the content shell and it seems that uses the content module (or content API) as well. Is there a benefit of using that vs. CEF? I understand CEF wraps it in its own API but is there any glaring difference between the two? i.e. One is multiprocess, one is not. One thing I noticed is that sandboxing is implemented in the content shell.
Mayhew
Expert

Re: Content Shell vs. Cef Client

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Mayhew wrote:I understand CEF wraps it in its own API but is there any glaring difference between the two?

Content Shell is intended for testing the Content API and is not optimized or supported for any other use. It provides the minimum implementation that is needed for this purpose. The Content API changes frequently and many features (geolocation, cookies, proxy settings, JS bindings, DOM access, etc) require "glue" code in the consumer. CEF is designed specifically for use in production environments, provides stable APIs, branches and binary releases, and isolates the user from the underlying Chromium and WebKit code complexity. Most features have default implementations that require little or no work by the user. So the choice really depends on how you want to spend your time -- learning the code base and merging Chromium/WebKit code changes, or developing your unique application. CEF is open source so you can always use it as a starting point and change it if necessary to better suit your needs.

Mayhew wrote:One thing I noticed is that sandboxing is implemented in the content shell.

This is possible because content_shell statically links a large chunk of the Chromium code. This goes back to our previous discussion about the sandbox implementation making assumptions about the executable.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Mayhew » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm

That makes sense and I agree based on what I have learned about the Content Shell test app so far. Thanks for the details.
Mayhew
Expert

Postby nitsakh » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm

As a follow up on the above question, I wish to know if the content shell can be embedded in another app directly, like CEF?
Can the content shell be build into a library? Or is it something that CEF does specially?
nitsakh

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:34 pm

nitsakh wrote:As a follow up on the above question, I wish to know if the content shell can be embedded in another app directly, like CEF?
Can the content shell be build into a library?

No to the above.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to CEF Discussion