use_thin_lto still needed ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

use_thin_lto still needed ?

Postby ndesktop » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 am

I have noticed this message and the removal of use_thin_lto from the cef/AutomatedBuildSetup in 11/2022.

Well, I just build today with use_thin_lto=false removed from GN_DEFINES and our well known nightmare (read: error 1107 from lib.exe) returned on the distrib phase.
So I retried with use_thin_lto re-added to GN_DEFINES, regenerate projects, build, and voilà the distrib was completed (and libcef_dll_wrapper built debug+release as I'm writing this).

So - is it 5414 the last use_thin_lto version, or is it something else I did not update/did wrong? Someone else perhaps running into this as well?
The build env is pretty much the same, VS 2019 community 16.11.24 on Windows 10 x64, with all Windows SDK versions installed, compilers, runtime - everything as I use normally.
ndesktop
Master

Re: use_thin_lto still needed ?

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:19 pm

Well, I just build today with use_thin_lto=false removed from GN_DEFINES and our well known nightmare (read: error 1107 from lib.exe) returned on the distrib phase.

What version did you build? Are you using the documented Automated config?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: use_thin_lto still needed ?

Postby ndesktop » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:00 am

5414 branch (I know it's not the latest, but I need this last one for Windows 7+8).
I'm using a custom build script - but using documented config (I hope I did not overlooked some detail) - as:
Code: Select all
SET DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0
SET GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2019
SET GN_DEFINES=is_official_build=true use_thin_lto=false
SET GN_ARGUMENTS=--ide=vs2019 --sln=cef --filters=//cef/*

automate-git.py ... checkout sources
branch CEF 5414, pull from branch, merge
cef_configure_projects
ninja build

The build is successful with either use_thin_lto=false present or not.

Then the distribution creation (various environment vars are pretty obvious):
Code: Select all
  @echo ** Performing x64 libcef_dll_wrapper distribution.
  set CEF_VCVARS=%VS2019c%\vc\Auxiliary\Build\vcvars64.bat
  cmd /c "python3 %ROOTDIR%\automate-git.py --download-dir=%ROOTDIR% --branch=%CEF_BRANCH% --x64-build --no-update --no-chromium-update --no-depot-tools-update --no-build --no-debug-build --no-debug-tests --no-release-tests --no-distrib-docs --force-distrib --client-distrib --no-distrib-archive --with-pgo-profiles --distrib-subdir=%ROOTDIR%\distrib\x64"

It's the automate-git.py invocation for distribution that fails in combine_libs.py, the same lib.exe 1107 error I opened a thread some time ago.
And at this time the solution was, as I said, using use_thin_lto=false again, and now it succeeded and looks ok until now (I'm running ceftests having a few failures, which are not new).
ndesktop
Master

Return to CEF Discussion