Stable CEF3 for single process mode

Think CEF could benefit from a new feature or capability? Discuss CEF feature requests here.

Stable CEF3 for single process mode

Postby TommyDawn » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Dear Magreenblatt,

Thanks for your GREAT contributions with CEF which changes many of the world.

However, I am confused when I decide which version of CEF should be used in my project. CEF1? It retired and no new chromium features will be supported, and it doesn't support Flash/HTML5 audio & video. CEF3? It is great but I don't confirm whether the single process mode is stable just this moment. I searched google and this forum, found other guys also need stable single process mode.

Why I need stable single process mode for CEF3?
Multi-process is stable but it will create many processes, this will cause serious problems once the end user kill the process in the task manager of windows system. In this case, when the browser is in edit/design mode, all data will lost. Many end users are not computer expert and they don't know the processes are what and they can not be killed.

A browser application built with the CEF is acceptable since the browser usually used to display web pages and if the processes have accidental termination the browser can reload the page. But when the CEF is used as an editor, just like the EverNote which is a note-taking software, it is unsafe with CEF3 multi-process mode(I found EverNote still use CEF1), and this potential problem even exceeds the feature of the performance of multi-process.

It is a pity if the single-process mode is not stable only because of the lack of test. The CEF could done more and change more.

Best wishes,
Tommy
TommyDawn

Re: Stable CEF3 for single process mode

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:57 am

TommyDawn wrote:CEF3? It is great but I don't confirm whether the single process mode is stable just this moment. I searched google and this forum, found other guys also need stable single process mode.

Single process mode is not stable and is not supported.

TommyDawn wrote:Multi-process is stable but it will create many processes, this will cause serious problems once the end user kill the process in the task manager of windows system. In this case, when the browser is in edit/design mode, all data will lost. Many end users are not computer expert and they don't know the processes are what and they can not be killed.

Most end users do not open task manager and start selectively killing processes. If your end user does kill processes (or if the renderer crashes) then you're much worse off with single-process mode -- the main process will be killed and you have no chance to save state. With multi-process mode you can design your application to sync data regularly (e.g. Google Docs which saves constantly) and, if the renderer process dies, you can reload it automatically and restore the previous state with minimal interruption to the user experience.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby TommyDawn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks for your quick reply! I consider whether the processes can be hidden when they are created? If yes, this is a good idea.
TommyDawn

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:40 am

TommyDawn wrote:Thanks for your quick reply! I consider whether the processes can be hidden when they are created? If yes, this is a good idea.

Why are your users killing processes using Task Manager?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby TommyDawn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:58 am

Just like you said, most users will not kill the process in the task manager, but some of the others may kill the unknown extra processes when their windows system become slow or the windows don't response.

Since the current CEF3 do not support single-process stably, I think I should use CEF1, or CEF3 but terminate the main process when the render process is killed.

I must give you the most extreme thanks to you for your CEF and you will always be honored.

At last, I'm very nice to write with you.
TommyDawn

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:26 am

TommyDawn wrote:Just like you said, most users will not kill the process in the task manager, but some of the others may kill the unknown extra processes when their windows system become slow or the windows don't response.

By default the extra processes will have the same name as your main process (since they're using the same executable), so they shouldn't be listed as "unknown".
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby TommyDawn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:35 am

I see and I prefer CEF3 now. Thanks to you and best wishes for you.
TommyDawn

Postby MartinM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:54 am

In Windows 8.1, the task manager by default lists all processes that belong to the same application as one entry (see attached picture). Maybe that makes you feel better ;)
Attachments
task_manager.jpg
task_manager.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 26025 times
MartinM
Techie

Return to Feature Request Forum