main window created by chrome.app.window

Think CEF could benefit from a new feature or capability? Discuss CEF feature requests here.

main window created by chrome.app.window

Postby mikewse » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:01 am

I know Chrome Extensions/Apps are not supported by CEF.
I assume bringing in the full extensions model is too much work, but what about only exposing the chrome.app.window extensions API in CEF? Did anybody look at this?

My thinking is that this could get rid of the current OS-specific boilerplate code needed in CEF apps for setting up the main window, as it would instead use Chromium's code for that. This API allows frameless windows and other advanced setups. I'm guessing also that a Chromium-managed main window might work better with flash plugin and similar going fullscreen.

(please excuse if I missed any previous discussion on this topic)
Thanks
Mike
mikewse

Re: main window created by chrome.app.window

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:15 am

This has been discussed on the forum in the past but I couldn't immediately find the link. There are no plans to expose such functionality at this time.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mikewse » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:28 am

Thanks Marshall,
Do you remember anything about how hard this seemed to do, what obstacles you identified, etc?
I'm thinking mainly about the possibility to include the Chromium code for creating the top-level window, not bringing in the whole extensions infrastructure. Or are these so tightly coupled so you have to bring in both?
Best regards
Mike
mikewse

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 am

I haven't looked specifically at the chrome.app.window implementation but the underlying Chromium APIs (views on windows/linux and cocoa on os x) have significant surface area. If you wish to use Chromium APIs directly you might want to look at https://github.com/atom/libchromiumcontent. However, keep in mind that Chromium APIs are not stable and may require a significant amount of work to integrate and upgrade your application.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mikewse » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:46 am

Right, that would mean going with the full Content module, sounds reasonable.
I'll look into libchromiumcontent, thanks for the suggestion. Are there any other serious Chromium adaptations/integrations that you can recommend? (there seems to exist a fair amount of half-abandoned projects on the net)
Best regards
Mike
mikewse

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:52 am

mikewse wrote:Are there any other serious Chromium adaptations/integrations that you can recommend?

I don't recommend anything other than (a) use CEF or (b) create a Chrome extension (or use app mode) that can run in a normal Google Chrome install.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Feature Request Forum