GTK3 port for Linux version

Think CEF could benefit from a new feature or capability? Discuss CEF feature requests here.

GTK3 port for Linux version

Postby angrymadcat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Gtk2 is very outdated and old, I think that CEF 3 should use gtk3. It is necessary for better desktop integration, use of headerbars, title bars and other new cool gtk widgets. Is this possible??
angrymadcat

Re: GTK3 port for Linux version

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Yes, it's possible. Only the cefclient sample application currently depends on GTK2.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby angrymadcat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:45 pm

So, in theory, the only thing I need to do is to use gtk3 headers instead gtk2? Then can I ask as a feature request to update the sample application to gtk 3? I want this because I want to use headerbars and dark theme on the linux cef client in Brackets.

angrymadcat

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

angrymadcat wrote:So, in theory, the only thing I need to do is to use gtk3 headers instead gtk2?

Maybe. Here's what's changed from GTK2 to GTK3: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable ... -to-3.html

angrymadcat wrote:Then can I ask as a feature request to update the sample application to gtk 3? I want this because I want to use headerbars and dark theme on the linux cef client in Brackets.

Sure, you can add a feature request. You'll likely need to implement it yourself. Patches are welcome.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby PolesApart » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Replacing gtk2 for gtk3 should be painless, sometimes it compiles out of box (very minor incompatibilities, depending on the widgets you use). But you'd need to implement gtk3 specific features on top of it.

Beware gtk3 is way more dependent on theming than gtk2, and it's theming specifics changes from version to version, so gtk 3.6 has some behavior, 3.10 other, and 3.14 onwards keep changing from version to version. It's losing it's simplicity in favor of arguable versatility in gnome style: "you can do lots of new stuff but you must do it *our* way".
PolesApart
Mentor

Return to Feature Request Forum