Rendering application bar in RTL with Views framework

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Rendering application bar in RTL with Views framework

Postby dcg » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:04 am

Hello, I am having an issue with the way my application's CEF window renders when Windows is set to an right-to-left (RTL) display language, such as Arabic. I would expect the entire application bar to be reversed (close/maximize/minimize on the left side), but it remains left-to-right.

I am using the Views framework to create the top-level window. CefSettings.locale and CefSettings.accept_language_list are both set to "ar" prior to calling CefInitialize. The main window is being created using CefBrowserView::CreateBrowserView and CefWindow::CreateTopLevelWindow.

Is there some additional setting I am missing to make this work correctly?
dcg

Re: Rendering application bar in RTL with Views framework

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:10 am

How do other applications behave on Windows with RTL configured? Do they show the window buttons in the top-left corner?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:12 am

Note that a difference in behavior is expected between RTL Windows installation and RTL language selection (e.g. the window buttons will likely only move with an RTL Windows installation).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby dcg » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:00 pm

Thanks for the response, Marshall. Other applications render the window buttons on the left side, as I'd expect for an RTL language. This is originally a US English Windows installation, and I've changed the Windows display language to "Arabic (Saudi Arabia)".

I attached a picture that shows the behavior across four windows: Chromium, Notepad, and two examples of the latest download of the CEF sample app (with and without using the Views framework).
Attachments
cef_rtl.PNG
cef_rtl.PNG (55.42 KiB) Viewed 9770 times
dcg

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:48 pm

Can you also test "cefclient --enable-chrome-runtime"? Please add a new bug at https://github.com/chromiumembedded/cef/issues. Thanks.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby dcg » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:51 am

Thanks, I created https://github.com/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/3583

Same issue seen with --enable-chrome-runtime (additional screenshot has been added to the bug)
dcg

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:57 am

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby dcg » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:47 am

Another update: I came across a flag in the Chromium codebase that allows forcing text direction -- https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... rtl.cc#177

I tried this out with the CEF sample app. The application bar always remains in LTR, but interestingly the menu bar and the various controls (forward/back, address bar, etc) do respect the forced direction. See attached image for details.

cef_rtl_3.PNG
cef_rtl_3.PNG (46.37 KiB) Viewed 9700 times
dcg

Return to Support Forum