Facebook Gameroom -> CefSharp -> CEF

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Facebook Gameroom -> CefSharp -> CEF

Postby sydbarrett74 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 pm

This post is somewhat convoluted, so please bare with me. :D

I am using Facebook Gameroom on a Lenovo Y500 laptop with an Intel Core i7-3630QM (Ivy Bridge) CPU, 12GB RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce GT 650M GPU. Whenever I'm running FB Gameroom, CPU usage is anywhere from 20-40% depending on whether I'm actively playing a game or the app is idling. By comparison, if I run the World of Warcraft client, I can be doing heavy raiding and the CPU usage is only 15% or so. Surely WoW is more CPU and GPU intensive than a bunch of Facebook games?

I'm trying to track down the culprit for such excessive CPU utilisation. Facebook Gameroom 1.10.6515.35995 uses CefSharp 57.0, which is a C# wrapper around CEF. Presumably, the version of CEF is 57.0, as well?

Anyhoo, should I post an issue PR on Bitbucket? Any troubleshooting steps someone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,
sydbarrett74
sydbarrett74

Re: Facebook Gameroom -> CefSharp -> CEF

Postby HarmlessDave » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm

What is the usage when you use Google Chrome? Make sure you are viewing all of the Chrome processes not just the main one.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby sydbarrett74 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 pm

HarmlessDave wrote:What is the usage when you use Google Chrome? Make sure you are viewing all of the Chrome processes not just the main one.

With 16 processes, 2 windows, 6 tabs, CPU usage is 0.9%. One of the tabs has Youtube playing a video. The version of Chrome is 62.0.3202.94 64-bit.
sydbarrett74

Postby HarmlessDave » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 pm

sydbarrett74 wrote:
HarmlessDave wrote:What is the usage when you use Google Chrome? Make sure you are viewing all of the Chrome processes not just the main one.

With 16 processes, 2 windows, 6 tabs, CPU usage is 0.9%. One of the tabs has Youtube playing a video. The version of Chrome is 62.0.3202.94 64-bit.

Is this playing the same Facebook game?

Also try the CEFClient sample application. If the usage is low there it could be something in your own code.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby sydbarrett74 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:59 pm

I'll use Star Trek Timelines as an example.

Played via Facebook Gameroom, CPU usage is roughly 25%.

In Chrome playing the game on Facebook, the process associated with Facebook/Star Trek uses roughly 10% CPU. All Chrome processes cumulatively use 15%, including the aforementioned Youtube tab.
sydbarrett74

Postby HarmlessDave » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Is this with a "stock" unmodified CefSharp client or one that you have customized by adding your own code?

What is the load if you try it with the native C++ CefClient sample application instead?
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby sydbarrett74 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 am

It's whatever CefSharp comes with Facebook Gameroom. I'm using the standard client that is generally available to the public. I should be pursuing this with Facebook, I suppose, but they have no means of receiving feedback from users. They closed all support forums awhile back.
sydbarrett74

Postby HarmlessDave » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 pm

sydbarrett74 wrote:It's whatever CefSharp comes with Facebook Gameroom. I'm using the standard client that is generally available to the public. I should be pursuing this with Facebook, I suppose, but they have no means of receiving feedback from users. They closed all support forums awhile back.

Yes, they are probably doing something in their own code that increases the CPU load. There is no way for the CEFSharp or CEF3 developers to fix that.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Return to Support Forum