Unable to build CEF

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Unable to build CEF

Postby Xaymar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 am

Currently building 2987 and 3029 fail with the error that gn.exe can't be found, and I've been unsuccessful at fixing this problem. Even pasting an earlier working 2987 into the directory of the broken 2987 does not fix it. This is what my automated script does to build CEF: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1TBnea-- ... KEsXQruLXv ; which then results in the following: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1TtWuYgT ... QgK4jJOiO8 .

What options do I have to fix this? I have attempted the following:
  • Update automate-git.py and depot_tools from the wiki and run update_debot_tools.bat.
  • Delete the v2987 directory and redownload everything.
  • Use a completely different PC and Internet connection, just in case.

Edit: I was not sure if this thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15188) is the same issue, so I made a new one instead.
Last edited by Xaymar on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaymar
Techie

Re: Unable to build CEF 2987

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Building old CEF/Chromium branches is unsupported and often difficult. You could try setting the `DEPOT_TOOLS_UPDATE=0` environment variable and manually updating depot_tools to a revision that existed at the time that 2987 was the current branch. Beyond that you'll have to resolve the errors yourself by looking at the scripts that are failing. See https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... nsupported for the general guidance on building old branches.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Xaymar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Oh, that sucks. I'll try it. All versions above 3029 have a significant memory leak (~4-170mb/s depending on system), cpu usage issue (twice to thrice the cpu usage of 2987, or even keeps multiple cores stuck at 100%) and crash much more often than 2987 and 3029.
Xaymar
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Xaymar wrote:Oh, that sucks. I'll try it. All versions above 3029 have a significant memory leak (~4-170mb/s depending on system), cpu usage issue (twice to thrice the cpu usage of 2987, or even keeps multiple cores stuck at 100%) and crash much more often than 2987 and 3029.

What OS and CEF version are you testing with? What is your reproduction case? Does the problem reproduce with the cefclient sample application?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Xaymar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:51 pm

> What OS and CEF version are you testing with?
So far we have reports across pretty much all Operating Systems our software supports:
- Windows 10 64-Bit
- Windows 8 64-Bit
- Windows 7 64-Bit

CEF versions tested were: 2987 (original), 3071 (attempted upgrade #1), 3112 (attempted upgrade #2), 3163 (attempted upgrade #3). User reports and our own tests were always identical: Any version above 3029 drastically increased CPU usage and started leaking memory in certain cases. For some people this went as far as filling up the physical and virtual/paged memory to the brim with leaks until Windows starts closing other apps and eventually also closes the cef processes, leaving exactly one cef process alive.

> What is your reproduction case?
Our repro case is the Streamlabs Bit Jar, which has a 100% chance of making this issue happen.

1. Open the Bit Jar in either obs-studio Browser Source or in cefclient with OSR windowless enabled.
2. Test the bit alert a bit (spam it if you have to).
3. Watch the memory and cpu usage in Process Explorer or similar.

This problem does not appear in Chrome desktop or when offscreen windowless rendering is off.

> Does the problem reproduce with the cefclient sample application?
If I adjust the cefclient sample application to use Offscreen windowless rendering the issue also appears. With Onscreen rendering the issue is gone.
Xaymar
Techie

Postby HarmlessDave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Have you looked at console.log and debug.log to see if the StreamLabs app is generating warnings or errors? It might be holding on to resources it should be releasing, in a way that only affects CEF once it has been updated to match the newer Chromium.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm

What functionality does the Streamlabs Bit Jar use? Are you aware of any other URLs that reproduce the problem?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Xaymar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm

After further testing, it seems that this problem appears for all current and previous branches. 'gn.exe' is never found, but there's no actual error before that - master checks out perfectly fine for example, but cef_create_projects.bat fails with a missing gn.exe.

> What functionality does the Streamlabs Bit Jar use?
It uses a Canvas, lots of Javascript for physics and control, async sockets/network and a small amount of HTML. Some images are also loaded at runtime IIRC.

> Are you aware of any other URLs that reproduce the problem?
Since the issue is identical to the one OBS Studio experiences with their Browser Source, a few developers there suggested these:
- http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/
- https://beta.unity3d.com/jonas/WebGLBenchmark/
- http://www.fishgl.com/

These three URLs all perform significantly worse in CEF than they do in Chrome/Chromium and some outright crash with different combinations. CanvasMark for example crashes on 3112 with windowless offscreen gpu rendering.

> Have you looked at console.log and debug.log to see if the StreamLabs app is generating warnings or errors?
I'm not sure what you are talking about? Are you talking about cefclient log output?
Xaymar
Techie

Postby Xaymar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Unfortunately I've still not been able to get CEF of any version to build. The build will always complain about gn missing, even tried building in a VM and putting in the commands manually instead of using a batch file.

Some additional information about the systems I've tried building with:
- Windows 10 64-Bit Fall Creators Update
- Windows SDK 10240, 10586, 14393, 15063, 16299 (all in default location, as determined by Visual Studio 2017, 2015 and 2013)
- Visual Studio 2017 (used for build), 2015 and 2013
- VM is built similar, only using 15063 SDK and VS2015.
Xaymar
Techie

Re: Unable to build CEF

Postby Xaymar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

I've been unable to solve this issue even on a fully clean install of Windows. Following the Master Build Quick Start guide to the letter gives me a create.bat that fails to find gn.exe, which is exactly the original issue. So back to square one, nothing works. At this point I'd call it a straight up CEF bug, but I'm not sure what causes it as there is no indicator for this failure other than that it can't find gn.exe.

I'll try manual building next, perhaps I can manually fix what the automate-git.py script is breaking.
Xaymar
Techie

Next

Return to Support Forum