Crashing on shutdown

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Crashing on shutdown

Postby andpad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello,

I'm currently having an issue where my test application is crashing on shutdown.

I see the this error in the output window: [1108/084307.327:FATAL:keyed_service_base_factory.cc(56)] Check failed: (sequence_checker_).CalledOnValidSequence().

I'm currently using the CEF binaries from 3.3202.1680.g700054b, which I upgraded from 3.3163.1671.g700dc25. With 3.3163.1671.g700dc25 this issue was not present for me.

Call Stack:
Code: Select all
    libcef.dll!logging::LogMessage::~LogMessage() Line 791   C++
    libcef.dll!KeyedServiceBaseFactory::~KeyedServiceBaseFactory() Line 57   C++
    libcef.dll!KeyedServiceFactory::~KeyedServiceFactory() Line 22   C++
    [External Code]   
    libcef.dll!base::Singleton<extensions::ProcessMapFactory,base::DefaultSingletonTraits<extensions::ProcessMapFactory>,extensions::ProcessMapFactory>::OnExit(void * __formal) Line 283   C++
    libcef.dll!base::internal::Invoker<base::internal::BindState<void (__cdecl*)(void *),void *>,void __cdecl(void)>::RunImpl<void (__cdecl*const &)(void *),std::tuple<void *> const &,0>(void (void *) * const & functor, const std::tuple<void *> & bound, std::integer_sequence<unsigned int,0> __formal) Line 349   C++
    libcef.dll!base::internal::Invoker<base::internal::BindState<void (__cdecl*)(void *),void *>,void __cdecl(void)>::Run(base::internal::BindStateBase * base) Line 331   C++
    libcef.dll!base::AtExitManager::ProcessCallbacksNow() Line 91   C++
    libcef.dll!base::AtExitManager::~AtExitManager() Line 46   C++
    [External Code]   
    libcef.dll!content::ContentMainRunnerImpl::Shutdown() Line 733   C++
    libcef.dll!service_manager::MainShutdown(service_manager::MainParams & params) Line 511   C++
    libcef.dll!CefContext::FinalizeShutdown() Line 542   C++
    libcef.dll!CefContext::Shutdown() Line 436   C++
    libcef.dll!CefShutdown() Line 257   C++
    libcef.dll!cef_shutdown() Line 246   C++
    micefintegration.dll!CefShutdown() Line 238   C++
    micefintegration.dll!MICEF_Shutdown() Line 36   C++
    miceftestdriver.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * szCmdLine, int iCmdShow) Line 95   C++
    [External Code]   

There were a few threads that suggested that we should append the "--disable-extensions" switch. I've tried that and it seems to shutdown fine without an application crash, but with this setting, as soon as the application starts, one (or both) of my browser test windows goes blank. I noticed that one of the subprocesses is crashing soon after the webpages are loaded. At this point I have no clue on how to debug this particular issue.

Miscellaneous info:
Settings: multi_threaded_message_loop = 1
Switches: --enable-media-stream

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
andpad
Techie

Re: Crashing on shutdown

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 pm

What content are you loading? Does the problem reproduce with the cefclient sample application?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby andpad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 pm

magreenblatt wrote:What content are you loading? Does the problem reproduce with the cefclient sample application?

I have 2 test browser windows where one navigates to http://www.yahoo.com and the other navigates to http://www.aol.com.

No, I have not been able to reproduce it with cefclient.
andpad
Techie

Postby callum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 pm

I recently updated the (Win/64) version of CEF I build against from 3071 to 3202 and I also see a crash on exit that wasn't there before (or at least, didn't present itself).

I *thought* I'd got all of that straightened out but apparently not.

Nothing changed in the sequence of required steps for shutdown did it ?
callum
Expert

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 pm

callum wrote:I recently updated the (Win/64) version of CEF I build against from 3071 to 3202 and I also see a crash on exit that wasn't there before (or at least, didn't present itself).

I *thought* I'd got all of that straightened out but apparently not.

Nothing changed in the sequence of required steps for shutdown did it ?

Shouldn't be. What is the symbolized call stack for your crash?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby callum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Started investigating and getting a symbolized stack to post here when I noticed:

if (mBrowserList.empty())
    {
        // TODO: mark this call as only needed if using CEFs message loop and not CefDoMessageLoopWork()
        CefQuitMessageLoop();

mParent->getCallbackManager()->onRequestExit();
    }

Removing the unnecessary CefQuitMessageLoop(); did the trick and no crash on exit now. Maybe the 3071 code was more tolerant of the bad call or I just got lucky.

Thanks for pointing me in right direction Matt.
callum
Expert

Postby andpad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm

With version 3.3239.1723.g071d1c1_windows32, my app is triggering a breakpoint and writing "[0112/114357.945:FATAL:keyed_service_base_factory.cc(56)] Check failed: (sequence_checker_).CalledOnValidSequence()" to the logs.

Call Stack:
    libcef.dll!logging::LogMessage::~LogMessage() Line 791   C++
    libcef.dll!KeyedServiceBaseFactory::~KeyedServiceBaseFactory() Line 57   C++
    libcef.dll!KeyedServiceFactory::~KeyedServiceFactory() Line 22   C++
    [External Code]   
    libcef.dll!base::Singleton<FontPrefChangeNotifierFactory,base::DefaultSingletonTraits<FontPrefChangeNotifierFactory>,FontPrefChangeNotifierFactory>::OnExit(void * __formal) Line 283   C++
    libcef.dll!base::AtExitManager::ProcessCallbacksNow() Line 90   C++
    libcef.dll!base::AtExitManager::~AtExitManager() Line 46   C++
    libcef.dll!std::default_delete<base::AtExitManager>::operator()(base::AtExitManager * _Ptr) Line 2127   C++
    libcef.dll!content::ContentMainRunnerImpl::Shutdown() Line 734   C++
    libcef.dll!service_manager::MainShutdown(service_manager::MainParams & params) Line 511   C++
    libcef.dll!CefContext::FinalizeShutdown() Line 541   C++
    libcef.dll!CefContext::Shutdown() Line 435   C++
    libcef.dll!CefShutdown() Line 257   C++
    libcef.dll!cef_shutdown() Line 248   C++
>   ceftest.dll!CefShutdown() Line 240   C++

I've appended the "--disable-extensions" switch (as this thread suggests: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... with-multi), but the issue still occurs.

This does not happen with cefclient. However, I'd like to figure out what's going wrong. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Note: I was previously using binaries from 3.3163.1671.g700dc25_windows32 until I finally decided to upgrade all the way to 3.3239.1723.g071d1c1_windows32. This issue was not occurring with binaries from 3.3163.1671.g700dc25_windows32.
andpad
Techie

Postby andpad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Actually, the issue I mentioned above does happen with cefclient using the following command line arguments "--multi-threaded-message-loop --disable-extensions".

Note this is using binaries from 3.3239.1723.g071d1c1_windows32.

Any ideas? Thanks.
andpad
Techie

Postby ldamis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 am

andpad wrote:Actually, the issue I mentioned above does happen with cefclient using the following command line arguments "--multi-threaded-message-loop --disable-extensions".

Note this is using binaries from 3.3239.1723.g071d1c1_windows32.

I am also building 3.3239.1723.g071d1c1_windows32 (on Visual Studio 2013) and I am experiencing the same behaviour launcing cefclient with command line arguments "--multi-threaded-message-loop --disable-extensions".

This appens only with Debug build; Release build quits gracefully.
ldamis
Techie

Postby Plinker1961 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

I'm actually seeing the exact same error fire once when exiting cefclient (version 3.3239.1723.g071d1c1_windows32) in the debugger using command-line arguments "--multi-threaded-message-loop --disable-extensions". Without the --disable-extensions option, it fires about 16 times.

Without --multi-threaded-message-loop, this does not happen. Though my understanding is that "--multi-threaded-message-loop" is preferred under Windows.

Any suggested workarounds for this issue?
Plinker1961
Mentor

Next

Return to Support Forum