Question on Application security

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Question on Application security

Postby dipen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am

I am trying to use CEF in Unreal engine. I want to access user files directly from file system. To achieve that I have done some modifications in C++ code. I'm able to access those files with below modifications.

Code: Select all
//--------------CEFBrowserApp.cpp

void FCEFBrowserApp::OnRegisterCustomSchemes(CefRefPtr<CefSchemeRegistrar> registrar)
{
   // To registrar file scheme
   registrar->AddCustomScheme("file", true, true, false);
}

void FCEFBrowserApp::OnBeforeCommandLineProcessing(const CefString& ProcessType, CefRefPtr< CefCommandLine > CommandLine)
{
   // Added this to allow file upload for HTTPS server
   CommandLine->AppendSwitch("allow-running-insecure-content");
}

//-----------WebBrowserSingleton.cpp

TSharedPtr<IWebBrowserWindow> FWebBrowserSingleton::CreateBrowserWindow(const FCreateBrowserWindowSettings& WindowSettings)
{

// Specify CEF browser settings here.
   CefBrowserSettings BrowserSettings;
   // To access local files
   BrowserSettings.web_security = STATE_DISABLED;
}

As CEF is a lightweight wrapper around Chromium itself, just wanted to know about the security breach that I might have to face with above changes. Also If there's a
way to prevent any malicious attacks or any other way to access local files without disabling security flags.

Thanks,
- Dipen
dipen

Re: Question on Application security

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:10 am

You will face significant security issues if you browse untrusted websites with those settings. Use a scheme handler or request interception instead. See https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... t-handling
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby dipen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 am

Thanks for the reply. User won't be able to change URL in our application, as we are displaying CEF browser as an internal component. In this scenario, what might be the security issues? And also wants to try out scheme handler and request interception. Can you please provide any sample links with c++ code in which, we can allow file protocols and overcome CORS issue with XHR request? Again thanks for your support.
dipen

Postby dipen » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 am

magreenblatt wrote:You will face significant security issues if you browse untrusted websites with those settings. Use a scheme handler or request interception instead. See https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... t-handling

Thanks for the reply. User won't be able to change URL in our application, as we are displaying CEF browser as an internal component. In this scenario, what might be the security issues? And also wants to try out scheme handler and request interception. Can you please provide any sample links with c++ code in which, we can allow file protocols and overcome CORS issue with XHR request? Again thanks for your support.
dipen

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 am

dipen wrote:Can you please provide any sample links with c++ code in which, we can allow file protocols and overcome CORS issue with XHR request?

Sorry, I don't have any such samples to provide.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum