Chrome Sandbox

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Chrome Sandbox

Postby ben » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am

Is there a way to run CEF-Applications withouth the Chrome sandbox under Linux?

So far I tried running cmake with the CLI flag, but it stills adds the sandbox to the build.
Code: Select all
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DUSE_SANDBOX=OFF ..

When I remove the sandbox-helper from the build directory and run the application, it tells me to run CEF with the "no-sandbox" flag.
But passing it to main_args() still doesn't disable the sandbox.

I'm using the scheme_handler-example as template for my own application, the application is compiled on Linux and should run only on Linux.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: I know the sandbox is there for a reason, I deliberately want to turn it off ;)
ben

Re: Chrome Sandbox

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am

You're likely running into https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/2208/ which was fixed recently.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby ben » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:55 am

After updating to the latest release of CEF the problem still remains.

When running CMake with the -DUSE_SANDBOX=OFF flag, the build process still adds the sandbox to Release.
-- *** CEF CONFIGURATION SETTINGS ***
-- Generator:                    Unix Makefiles
-- Platform:                     Linux
-- Project architecture:         x86_64
-- Build type:                   Release
-- Binary distribution root:     ~/cef-project/third_party/cef/cef_binary_3.3071.1649.g98725e6_linux64
-- Standard libraries:           X11
-- Compile defines:              __STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS;__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS;_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-- Compile defines (Debug):     
-- CEF Binary files:             chrome-sandbox;libcef.so;natives_blob.bin;snapshot_blob.bin

The "--no-sandbox"-Flag still seems to be ignored.
When running the CEF-application with the flag I get this error:
[0721/115147.434670:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that ~/cef-project/build/Release/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.

When removing the sandbox-helper binary from the Release directory and running (with flag) I get the following error:
[0721/114833.686426:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(107)] No usable sandbox! Update your kernel or see https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the SUID sandbox. If you want to live dangerously and need an immediate workaround, you can try using --no-sandbox.
ben

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:35 pm

What Linux distro are you using? Are you testing with the cefclient or cefsimple application?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum