Question on implementing the print preview dialog in CEF

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Question on implementing the print preview dialog in CEF

Postby ivdone » Thu May 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Since google have open sourced their implementation on print preview and included that in chromium. I am trying to implement the print preview dialog in Cef but was stopped by some problems.

I turned on the print preview build flags. And updated the CefPrintViewManger according to the newer version of it in chromium, to have the support for sending out PrintMsg_InitiatePrintPreview message to the render frame.
Code: Select all
class CefPrintViewManager :
    public CefPrintViewManagerBase,
    public content::WebContentsUserData<CefPrintViewManager> {

The message is received by the render process in PrintWebViewHelper(which has base class content::RenderFrameObserver, content::RenderFrameObserverTracker<PrintWebViewHelper>) and then it will try to send a PrintHostMsg_RequestPrintPreview message to the render frame
Send(new PrintHostMsg_RequestPrintPreview(routing_id(), params));
. The routing_id is a method of its base "content::RenderFrameObserver", I assume it is trying to send the message to the render frame. But the message is not handled.

class PrintWebViewHelper
    : public content::RenderFrameObserver,
      public content::RenderFrameObserverTracker<PrintWebViewHelper> {

Read through chromium code. the PrintHostMsg_RequestPrintPreview Message should be handled in

class PrintPreviewMessageHandler
    : public content::WebContentsObserver,
      public content::WebContentsUserData<PrintPreviewMessageHandler>

I searched for PrintPreviewMessageHandler, found out that "print_preview_message_handler" is attached in "src/chrome/browser/ui/tab_helpers.cc", "src/chrome/browser/ui/apps/chrome_app_delegate.cc", "src/chrome/browser/extensions/api/chrome_extensions_api_client.cc".

Since the behavior right now is that the message is lost, it might because 1. the print_preview_message_handler is not attached at the time we tries to create the print preview. 2. the print_preview_message_handler is not attached to the right webcontent.

I am new to chromium and Cef code, sorry if I didn't understand them correctly. Here are my confusions : 1.why there are three places that tries to attach this handler? 2. when will each class be attaching this handler?

Please let me know if I misunderstood or if you have any suggestions. Any comment will be appreciated!
ivdone

Re: Question on implementing the print preview dialog in CEF

Postby Czarek » Thu May 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Try asking on chromium-dev group.
Maintainer of the CEF Python, PHP Desktop and CEF C API projects. My LinkedIn.
Czarek
Virtuoso

Postby emerick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 am

ivdone, did you ever have any luck with this? I'm also looking into a print preview dialog for our CEF-based application, so just curious if you made any progress or ran into issues.
emerick
Expert

Postby ivdone » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 pm

emerick wrote:ivdone, did you ever have any luck with this? I'm also looking into a print preview dialog for our CEF-based application, so just curious if you made any progress or ran into issues.

emerick, I am able to get the print preview ui generated by navigating to chrome://print now. This is only showing the ui is available. To make it able to print we have to attach a webcontent which is about to be printed.

The way it should be is : The webcontent will be attached by the PrintPreviewDialogController to create the print preview ui. And a constrained window will be generated to host the print preview ui. But the problem I am facing is that the Constrained Web Dialog rendered but it is empty, the print preview ui is not rendered in it. I suspect this is caused by some window handling nuances between CEF and chromium but I cannot find any examples on how to use the constrained web dialog in CEF.

I am working on debugging through chromium to see what I did I missed.
ivdone

Postby emerick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for the update. That actually sounds like good progress! If you have a diff/patch available, I could certainly try to give a hand with debugging (although I'm currently working on v58).
emerick
Expert

Postby ivdone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi emerick,

I have attached the patch file below.

The changes for cefPrintViewManager and CefPrintWebViewHelperDelegate are just updating it according to new chromium version.

And just for testing purpose, I am not using cefPrintViewManager in browser_host_impl.h instead I used the PrintViewManager.

Right now I am having trouble populating the constrained_window. I have tried to step into the code but everything seems normal.

Thanks for helping out.
Attachments
print_preview_patch.txt
(37.09 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
ivdone

Postby ivdone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 am

Hi emerick,

Have you got any luck on implementing this?
ivdone

Postby emerick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Unfortunately, as soon as I visit chrome://print the client crashes. I haven't been able to track down the root cause yet. I'm not sure if I'm missing some changes or if it's just due to my using version 58.
emerick
Expert

Postby ivdone » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

emerick wrote:Unfortunately, as soon as I visit chrome://print the client crashes. I haven't been able to track down the root cause yet. I'm not sure if I'm missing some changes or if it's just due to my using version 58.

Sorry I have missed one patch file for chromium.
I tried a hacky way to avoid some of the crashes. Those should be resolved when cleaning up the code. Just wanted to have a working branch right now.
Please let me know if you are experiencing any other crashes.
ivdone

Postby emerick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 pm

OK, sounds good. Does that mean you're close to having this working then? That would be wonderful! :)
emerick
Expert

Next

Return to Support Forum