cefQuery usage in JCEF asynchronous or synchronous?

Having problems with building or using the JCEF Java binding? Ask your questions here.

cefQuery usage in JCEF asynchronous or synchronous?

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:09 pm

In testing calling cefQuery our JS code appears to hang until our executing Java thread (inside the onQuery()) completes. Is this behavior expected? All the CEF documentation seems to suggest that the call initiated by cefQuery is done so asynchronously, but perhaps this is not true for JCEF? Additionally, the last line of Marshall's reply here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12317 reads:

You should perform communication with your back-end server on a separate thread and execute CefQueryCallback asynchronously once the response is available.

Which could be interpreted as not doing that would result in the entire operation (JS->Java->JS) being performed synchronously.

Indeed, using a separate thread within our onQuery() method causes the operation perform asynchronously, which suggests that the JS code is in fact waiting for our thread to return before proceeding. My question is is this necessary? Or are we somehow using cefQuery incorrectly. I'll mention that we're not actually calling cefQuery, but a custom function (call it fooCefQuery) which is functionally identical to cefQuery, and is registered like so:

CefMessageRouter fooMessageRouter= CefMessageRouter.create(new CefMessageRouterConfig(FOO_CEF_QUERY, FOO_CEF_QUERY_CANCEL));
Aaron

Re: cefQuery usage in JCEF asynchronous or synchronous?

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm

What does your JS code look like? What do you mean when you say the JS code "hangs"?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for the fast reply!

Our code looks like this:
Code: Select all
      return Observable.create(observer => {
            this.window.fooCefQuery({
                request: 'get-data',
                persistent: true,
                onSuccess: function(response) {
                    observer.next(response);
                    observer.complete();
                },
                onFailure: function(error_code, error_message) {
                    observer.error(error_code+":"+error_message);
                    observer.complete();
                }
            });
        })

by "hang", I mean that given the below, the JS stops executing between the submit call and do some more stuff, and does not continue on (to do some more stuff), until our Java thread has returned
//do some stuff
//call submit on our Observable
//do some more stuff

We tested this by calling cefQueryCallback.success() immediately in our Java code, but then calling thread.sleep() for 10 seconds before returning. In that test, do some more stuff wasn't executed until after the 10 second delay.
Aaron

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Calling thread.sleep in onQuery will block the browser process UI thread. That will keep many things from working properly. Never block the UI or IO threads.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 am

The thread.sleep call isn't part of our actual code, it was just to test whether the JS code was indeed waiting for the onQuery call to finish. So then it sounds like the right thing to do is place the work on a separate thread within onQuery if we don't want our JS code to wait for that work to complete. Is that correct?

I guess a follow-up question would be what does "asynchronous" mean in the below context (from: https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ew-default )

// When |window.cefQuery| is executed the request is sent asynchronously to one
// or more C++ Handler objects registered in the browser process.

To me that suggests after calling window.cefQuery, the next line of JS code would execute immediately, which is not what we see.
Aaron

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 am

If you do this:

window.cefQuery(...);
// next line

Then next line will be executed immediately in the renderer process. If you're blocking the browser process UI thread then you may not see the result of that execution immediately because the UI thread is likely responsible for displaying it.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm

I see. That looks to be the issue. Confirmed via timestamps that the next line was being called immediately.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the call to OnQuery() is dispatched on the browser process UI thread? I would think the first thing every handler would want to do is move the work to a different thread.
Aaron

Return to JCEF Forum