CEF processes

Having problems with building or using the CefGlue .NET/Mono binding? Ask your questions here.

Moderator: fddima

CEF processes

Postby bigN » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:36 am

I have noticed strange behaviour whilst running samples provided with CefGlue. Every time I execute, or debug the (winform or wpf) projects I see 3 processes running in windows task manager. Whenever the application closes all three are closed as well but this doesn't work 100%. I can't reliably reproduce the issue but time to time ghost processes are sitting in the task manager. So the questions are why there are 3 processes and how reliably to shut them down.
bigN
Techie

Re: CEF processes

Postby amaitland » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:46 am

Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Postby fddima » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 am

There is exist not so many reasons to remain ghost renderer or gpu process: chromium code also not ideal and has lot of TODOs (thanks to mojo). But in most cases if you will wait long enough - they should be closed anyway.

If you not happy with chromiums process monitoring/shutdown - you always can implement own by utilizing parent/child process relationship. I'm somewhere on this forum describe this more precisely. But this kind of additional protection really needed usually very rarely / kind of workaround / soft fixing chrome code without touching chrome code.

You should understand - chrome has same defects, but usually we so rare close browser that we never hit. When you develop app - run cycles 10-100x times more, process aborts, so nightmare cases occurs which never normally occurs in release/chrome.
fddima
Master

Postby bigN » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:10 pm

I am killing CEF processes, if they are still alive, just before closing the app.
bigN
Techie

Return to CefGlue Forum