Dirty fix for closing browser down with no message

Having problems with building or using the CefGlue .NET/Mono binding? Ask your questions here.

Moderator: fddima

Dirty fix for closing browser down with no message

Postby mistymorning » Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 am

Often when CefRuntime.Shutdown(); was called in Program.Main() during closing the browser I was getting an error message after viewing YouTube.com or because I tried to close the browser when a page was still loading and what I found out was some new tab-pages with an embeded browser were starting two new processes per tab.

I keep trying and just could not fix it no matter how I tried but i did come up with a dirty soloution that works

In program.main I save the current processID and then just before opening a new browser tab I record all the processId's that share the name with the current program using the code below

Code: Select all

private static string OldProcessIDs = "";
        public static string SaveCurrentProcessIDs()
        {
            Process PC = Process.GetCurrentProcess();
            OldProcessIDs ="," + PC.Id;

foreach (System.Diagnostics.Process P in System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcesses())
            {
                if (P.ProcessName == PC.ProcessName && P.Id != WebBrowser.MainProcessID)
                {
                    OldProcessIDs +="," + P.Id.ToString();
                }
            }
            return OldProcessIDs;
        }

Then after the new tab opens I start a new thread, send it to sleep for a second and then get any new processID's for the current program using this code.

private void GetMyProcessID()
        {//if  SingleProcess = true then the processID will be zero
            Thread.Sleep(1000);
            this.ProcessID1 = Helper.GetNewBrowserProcessID();
            Thread.Sleep(1000);
            this.ProcessID2 = Helper.GetNewBrowserProcessID();//Don't ask me why but sometimes a second process is create
        }

public static int GetNewBrowserProcessID()
        {
            Process PC = Process.GetCurrentProcess();
            foreach (System.Diagnostics.Process P in System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcesses())
            {
                if (P.ProcessName == PC.ProcessName && P.Id != WebBrowser.MainProcessID)
                {
                    if (OldProcessIDs.IndexOf("," + P.Id) == -1)
                    {
                        OldProcessIDs += "," + P.Id.ToString();
                        return P.Id;
                    }
                }
            }
            return 0;
        }

Now when I close tabs I wait a second to see if the tab killed it's processes and if not then I call a function to kill them and during unload/shutdown I just kill any tab processes that are not dead plus the main program thread just after "CefRuntime.Shutdown();" is called.

#if !DEBUG
            Helper.KillMyProcess(WebBrowser.MainProcessID);//On the release version also kill the main thread to stop shutdown errors
#endif

Yes I know it's dirty but it did the trick after spending a day looking for a clean solution.
Building a web-browser that does not call home
mistymorning
Techie

Return to CefGlue Forum