Accessing CefDOMNode's CSS attributes

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss CEF here. Non-CEF related discussion goes in General Discussion!

Accessing CefDOMNode's CSS attributes

Postby jamesra » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 am

Is there any way to directly access a node's CSS attributes from CefDOMNode or from some other class? I have tried to look up the API, but so far have found nothing that would help me.

I am currently thinking of solving this by
1) running a JS script using CefFrame::ExecuteJavaScript() that uses window.getComputedStyle() per node to calculate the "true" style attributes (influenced by parent nodes etc) and then add the calculated styles as attributes to the DOM node
2) access them in C/C++ code using CefDOMNode::GetElementAttributes()

It would be fantastic to get a direct access to CSS attributes per DOM node and I'm pretty sure that there must be a way in CEF's C/C++ API and I'm just not aware of it.
jamesra

Re: Accessing CefDOMNode's CSS attributes

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 am

What do you plan to do with the style information?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jamesra » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:15 am

In this particular case I'm using CEF for rendering an off-screen version of web page and then I want to do content extraction (title, image, text). In academia, most of the papers that have been published about content extraction usually only use the HTML code for extraction and not any style or layout information, which I believe would enhance the process a lot.

I have currently a prototype of a new content extraction algorithm running as a Chrome plug-in. Using a plug-in is an easy way to test and try out different content extraction approaches as I can get my hands on layout/style information & HTML code of a rendered page easily. However, I have now taken steps to convert the CE algorithm to C/C++ and would like to use CEF to render and off-screen version of a web page, get an access via CEF API to HTML source + required layout/style information per DOM node and then finally run my algorithm on top of it all. The layout/style information that I'm currently using include x,y coordinates and width & height of DOM node, css-display, css-fontfamily, css-fontstyle, css-fontweight, css-fontsize, css-color, css-visibility, css-float.

Based on your reply, I'm assuming that I can't have a direct access to CSS attributes per DOM node using API or is there any (relatively easy) way to do it? Naturally I would need to have "computed" version of each DOM node's style attributes, i.e. a combined, actual values based on the inherited values from parent nodes.
jamesra

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 pm

You can iterate over the DOM with either JavaScript or native code using JavaScript bindings. Computed style can then be retrieved for each element using the JavaScript getComputedStyle function. See the JavaScriptIntegration wiki page for information on bindings.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jamesra » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Yeah, this is something that I was considering doing after taking a look on the documentation. I'll implement the required functionality using CEF's JavaScript bindings.
jamesra

Return to CEF Discussion